DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing hardwood floors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189898-washing-hardwood-floors.html)

Remi January 21st 07 06:15 PM

Washing hardwood floors

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

diablo January 21st 07 06:19 PM

Washing hardwood floors

"Remi" wrote in message
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

Stubby January 21st 07 08:04 PM

Washing hardwood floors

Remi wrote:
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

Acetone does a good job on Pergo and other synthetic hardwood.

sirbob January 21st 07 08:35 PM

Washing hardwood floors

Stubby wrote:
Remi wrote:.,
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.
warm water with murphys oil soap is best bet.use no solvents(acetone)

Acetone does a good job on Pergo and other synthetic hardwood.

bowgus January 21st 07 09:31 PM

Washing hardwood floors

diablo wrote:
"Remi" wrote in message
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

I second the Murphy's for floors ... and fwiw, I just used it yesterday
to clean up an old cedar chest ... I'm in the middle of painting and
therefore also cleaning up the floors, other stuff.

AndrewV January 21st 07 09:40 PM

Washing hardwood floors

"Remi" wrote in message
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

The guy that refinished my hardwood about ten yrs ago recommended vinegar
and warm water. its been working well and the finish still looks good, cheap
too.

YMMV

Andrew

George E. Cawthon January 21st 07 11:35 PM

Washing hardwood floors

Stubby wrote:
Remi wrote:
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

Acetone does a good job on Pergo and other synthetic hardwood.

Hopefully no one will believe you and ruin the floor.

Oren January 21st 07 11:52 PM

Washing hardwood floors

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:15:49 GMT, "Remi" wrote:

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

Elbow grease?

--
Oren

Norminn January 22nd 07 01:18 AM

Washing hardwood floors

bowgus wrote:
diablo wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

I second the Murphy's for floors ... and fwiw, I just used it yesterday
to clean up an old cedar chest ... I'm in the middle of painting and
therefore also cleaning up the floors, other stuff.

Murphy's. If there are black scuffs, mineral spirits (test in out of
the way spot) should take it off. Takes off crayola, too.

Stubby January 22nd 07 01:40 AM

Washing hardwood floors

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Remi wrote:
What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

Acetone does a good job on Pergo and other synthetic hardwood.

Hopefully no one will believe you and ruin the floor.

Not true. If you go to Home Depot or Pergo.com you will find acetone
listed as the preferred cleaner. Get Pergo to send you their cleaning
brochure.

[email protected] January 22nd 07 02:19 PM

Washing hardwood floors

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

Acetone does a good job on Pergo and other synthetic hardwood.

Hopefully no one will believe you and ruin the floor.

Not true. If you go to Home Depot or Pergo.com you will find acetone
listed as the preferred cleaner. Get Pergo to send you their cleaning
brochure.

Ummm, Acetone should eat through the plastic. I would not try this
unless I saw someone else do it first, or something.

aspasia January 23rd 07 01:41 AM

Washing hardwood floors

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:18:44 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

bowgus wrote:
diablo wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

I second the Murphy's for floors ... and fwiw, I just used it yesterday
to clean up an old cedar chest ... I'm in the middle of painting and
therefore also cleaning up the floors, other stuff.

Murphy's. If there are black scuffs, mineral spirits (test in out of
the way spot) should take it off. Takes off crayola, too.

Need to rinse thoroughly with clear water?

diablo January 23rd 07 01:52 AM

Washing hardwood floors

wrote:

bowgus wrote:
diablo wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

I second the Murphy's for floors ... and fwiw, I just used it yesterday
to clean up an old cedar chest ... I'm in the middle of painting and
therefore also cleaning up the floors, other stuff.

Murphy's. If there are black scuffs, mineral spirits (test in out of
the way spot) should take it off. Takes off crayola, too.

Need to rinse thoroughly with clear water?

I don't I sponge the floor dry. Murphy's dries streak free and with out
clouding.

Brian

Sue January 23rd 07 06:47 AM

Washing hardwood floors

In article k.net,
Norminn wrote:

bowgus wrote:
diablo wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message

What's the best way to wash hardwood floors? Thanks.

I've always used Murphy's Oil Soap in warm water.

Brian

I second the Murphy's for floors ... and fwiw, I just used it yesterday
to clean up an old cedar chest ... I'm in the middle of painting and
therefore also cleaning up the floors, other stuff.

Murphy's. If there are black scuffs, mineral spirits (test in out of
the way spot) should take it off. Takes off crayola, too.

depending on your flooring using Murphy's may void the warranty
i.e.
http://www.guysfloor.com/info.htm
http://www.jfloor.com/Install.htm