Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Siding Questions (Cedar Quality Levels & Tyvek Vs. Felt)

Hello:

Have a house with T1-11 (plywood panel type of stuff) siding on it, which
isn't in the greatest of shape.

In the Spring, will be having the typical horizontal Cedar Clapboards
installed.

The two contractors we've had over both said to place the new clapboards
right over the existing T1-11.

Have two questions, please.

One of the contractors says he uses "AYE" quality level cedar clapboards.
Guess there are different "quality levels" for this stuff.

a. Is this AYE grade what we want ?
Are there "better" cedar siding grades to consider, or is this what most
folks use ?
Brands, etc. ?

I've asked for pre-primed clapboards, but is there anything else I should be
specifying ?

b. Surprisingly, one of them said he does not like Tyvek, and has had poor
results with it.
He wants to use #15 Felt between the existing T1-11 and the new
Clapboards.

I was under the impression that Tyvek was a sort of "standard" these
days.

Would sure appreciate any thoughts on this propoised use of #15 Felt.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use 30lb felt, never tried Tyvek. I can tell you as we reside the
house, some of the old was 30lb some 15lb, the 30 is still doing a good
job after 50+ years, the 15 is dust. I question applying over the old.
won't that make some problems with the trim around doors and windows
due the additional thickness? That wasn't even a consideration on our
job, as I wanted to do a lot of electrical and plumbing while the skin
was off, and it gives you a chance to spot decaying 2 X 4s and replace
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote on 21 Jan 2007:

Surprisingly, one of them said he does not like Tyvek, and has
had poor results with it.

He wants to use #15 Felt between the existing T1-11 and the
new Clapboards.

I was under the impression that Tyvek was a sort of
"standard" these days.

Tyvek is a good material and, if installed properly and covered
over with siding shortly after installation, should not give poor
results.

OTOH, there were a number of articles about house wraps vs. felt in
the Journal of Light Construction a few years back. The conclusion
is that felt works just fine, as it always has done, at much lower
cost.

Over the years, the designation of felt as 15 lb. and 30 lb. has
not remained constant. You're better off using 30 lb. if you
decide to go with felt. Cost difference isn't significant.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address