Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace sometimes, but not always, fails to start

"Andy & Carol" wrote in message news:...
I had a similiar problem, the high voltage transformer might
be going especially if it is older. You can test it by yourself
if you have any electrical knowledge. Usually they swing out,
make sure the furnace, is off at the main switch. I like to take the
transformer out , and put is on the bench. after disconnecting the
two wires.

Get a lamp cord and connect it to to the wires of the transformer.
Get a large screwdriver, with a good plastic insulated handle, put the
screwdriver on one of the high voltage electrodes and move it slowly
toward the second electrode. The spark should jump at least 3/4 of an
inch.
Nice and blue. If not your xformer is weak, easy to buy and replace, about
$80.00

Check your electrodes on the gun, they should be about 1/8" apart,and
about 1/8"
in front of the nozzle. While you got it apart, get another good quality
nozzle,
and replace your old one, with the same specs. Usually .75 to 1.50 @ 80
degrees.

Also, check your Cadmium cell and make sure its clean. If it doesn't see a
good
flame, it will shut the the gun down. Did you change the oil filter? If
the air filter
is plugged, proper air flow will not flow through the furnace, and shut
it down on high limit temp. The oil pressure to the nozzle should be about
100 lbs.

Have a pro set up the draft and air over the flame!

My 2 cents worth..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an oil-burning furnace, with an intermittent problem. Most of
the time when the temperature drops below the thermostat level, it
kicks in just fine. But every so often, with no particular regularity,
it fails to start. I have to go down to the basement and press the
manual restart button (which always works with just one push). I have
found no factor that seems to explain when it fails to automatically
start. (For example, it seems no worse on particularly cold days, or
damp day, etc.) It is just that once every day or so, it fails to come
on.

I have a service contract, and the furnace is old but has been
maintained. A couple service guys have been out to look at it, and
each has done a little something, but nothing has definitively solved
the problem. (I am embarrassed to admit here that I am NOT the
handyman type. I do not watch over their shoulders, and I do not know
precisely what they have tried.)

I have a guy coming out again in a couple days, and I am hoping to be a
little bit better armed with knowledge, and be more involved in the
diagnosis. I was wondering if anyone has ideas on what sorts of things
could cause this intermittent problem.

Thanks.

Furnace sometimes, but not always, fails to start [email protected] Home Repair 12 January 21st 07 04:36 AM
AEG OKO-Lavamat 72630 fails to start noxhoej UK diy 1 January 6th 07 09:21 AM
furnace won't start geodav Home Repair 0 November 6th 06 12:40 PM
RCA D52W20 fails to start Alex Tsiboulski Electronics Repair 14 April 17th 06 08:56 PM
AC Compressor Fails to Start Randy Roberts Home Repair 5 July 29th 05 03:41 AM