Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door question

A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?

left and right?
reversed left and right?

I am really confused about this door swing stuff.

does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?

Please "Nate" do not answer this question
you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door
swings.

thanks
the sagacious dolt

Posted to alt.home.repair

" the sagacious dolt" wrote in message
A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?

left and right?
reversed left and right?

I am really confused about this door swing stuff.

does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?

Please "Nate" do not answer this question
you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door
swings.

thanks
the sagacious dolt

Yes, this can be confusing. Especially because not everyone uses the
same definition of door left and right.
I think that the most common definition (at least in the US) is this:
stand in the open door with your back to the hinges; if the door
swings to the left, it is a lefthand door; if to the right, it is a
righthand
door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The approach is considered from the outside or key side of
whatever door.

If the door swings into the room (away from your approach), a door
with the hinges on the right is a right hand door.

If the door swings out of the room (toward your approach), a door
with the hinges on the right is a right hand reverse.

Here is an illustration:
http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/pdfs/kb/Hand%20of%20Doors%20and%20Hinges.PDF

In reality, most things about hanging doors can be worked out by
putting your butt to the butt hinges and determining which one of
your arms would be the door. This eliminates needing to know or
understand the reverses. The reverses are only important in full
mortise locks, panic bars, closers and some other commercial
hardware. There is no difference in typical residential use
between a RHR (right hand reverse) and a LH (left hand).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)
http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

" the sagacious dolt" wrote in message
A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?

left and right?
reversed left and right?

I am really confused about this door swing stuff.

does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?

Please "Nate" do not answer this question
you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on
door
swings.

thanks
the sagacious dolt

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
[...]

A VERY good reference; thanks!

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

the sagacious dolt wrote:

A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?

left and right?
reversed left and right?

I am really confused about this door swing stuff.

does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?

Please "Nate" do not answer this question
you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door
swings.

thanks
the sagacious dolt

While there may be a standard and correct terminology, that does
not matter if you are communicating with someone who does not
consistently use the standard terminology. Some manufacturers
(Masonite, for example) refuse to use standard terminology and
sometimes are not even consistent from door to door (again, Masonite
is an example). Other manufacturers might have their own terminology
but define it well in their documentation.
So... when necessary, make sure you also describe what you want without
relying on terminology. Say or write things like: "...when this outswing
door is viewed from the outside the hinge is on the left..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M Q" wrote in message

| the sagacious dolt wrote:
|
| A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?
|
| left and right?
| reversed left and right?
|
| I am really confused about this door swing stuff.
|
| does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?
|
| Please "Nate" do not answer this question
| you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door
| swings.
|
| thanks
| the sagacious dolt
|

| While there may be a standard and correct terminology, that does
| not matter if you are communicating with someone who does not
| consistently use the standard terminology. Some manufacturers
| (Masonite, for example) refuse to use standard terminology and
| sometimes are not even consistent from door to door (again, Masonite
| is an example). Other manufacturers might have their own terminology
| but define it well in their documentation.
| So... when necessary, make sure you also describe what you want
without
| relying on terminology. Say or write things like: "...when this
outswing
| door is viewed from the outside the hinge is on the left..."

WHY HAVE STANDARDS
IF EVERYONE DOESN'T FOLLOW THEM?
ALMOST LIKE MORALS IN THIS COUNTRY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
| The approach is considered from the outside or key side of
| whatever door.
|
| If the door swings into the room (away from your approach), a door
| with the hinges on the right is a right hand door.
|
| If the door swings out of the room (toward your approach), a door
| with the hinges on the right is a right hand reverse.
|
| Here is an illustration:

http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/pdfs/kb/Hand%20of%20Doors%20and%20Hinges.PDF

| In reality, most things about hanging doors can be worked out by
| putting your butt to the butt hinges and determining which one of
| your arms would be the door. This eliminates needing to know or
| understand the reverses. The reverses are only important in full
| mortise locks, panic bars, closers and some other commercial
| hardware. There is no difference in typical residential use
| between a RHR (right hand reverse) and a LH (left hand).

Thanx DanG
it is much easier to understand now

what the heck it this sig line?
I didn't even know you cared.

door question HL Home Repair 2 June 23rd 06 04:38 PM
Door question yaofeng Home Repair 7 June 21st 06 11:22 AM
prehung door question Cleetus Awreetus Home Repair 8 July 12th 05 12:51 AM
Another garage door question Joseph Meehan Home Repair 11 April 14th 05 03:09 PM
Dumb door question... Noozer Home Repair 9 January 21st 05 03:36 PM