Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a separate watthour meter and confused by bonding neutral and ground

I am installing a separate watthour meter in my home to monitor the
power usage of a high load appliance in my garage. The meter is 2
phase 3 wire and is designed w/ the neutral (center pole) bonded to the
housing; there is no way around this, nor have I seen any meters that
make this an option.

I plan to run THHN 4446 wire from my main panel through metal conduit
to the meter housing; the conduit and the meter housing would both be
ground.

Thus, when I tie down the neutral to the meter I would have no choice
but to bond it to ground (as the housing is designed).

From my understanding, neutral and ground are only supposed to be

bonded together in one location: the main service entrance breaker box.
If I am bonding neutral to ground at this second location (my meter
housing), isn't that bad?

What am I supposed to do w/ the ground in a meter housing?
Am I not supposed to bring ground in to the meter housing?
Is it OK to bond ground and neutral in a meter housing?
If not, do I not connect the conduit/housing to the main service
ground, and then just run a separate ground for my garage
conduit/housing?

Thanks!

Pv