DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189076-flip-kwikset-left-hand-lock-knob-right-hand-keyhole-reversal.html)

SMS January 17th 07 02:37 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , " wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:35:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or
a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a left-hand
configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the lock
cylinder?

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a deadbolt.

Yeah, yeah, what was I thinking?!

The inside knob activates the latch whether you turn it clockwise or
counter-clockwise, so you just turn the whole lockset 180 degrees.

The deadbolt requires reversing the shaft.

'Key January 17th 07 07:29 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"SMS" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
"
wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:35:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on
either a right-hung or
a left-hung door depended on removing the lock
cylinder.
My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry
lock knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from
a left-hand
configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT
removing the lock
cylinder?

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a
deadbolt.

no it doesn't..

Yeah, yeah, what was I thinking?!

The inside knob activates the latch whether you turn it
clockwise or counter-clockwise, so you just turn the whole
lockset 180 degrees.

the keyway on the knob lock will also be 180 off.
the half moon shaft only goes through the spring-latch one
way. it is not reversable.

The deadbolt requires reversing the shaft.

no it doesn't. in order to time a deadbolt,
with the key out of the lock, the tail-piece on the deadbolt
goes half way (centered) between all the way left and all
the way right,
no matter if it LH or RH...

--
"Key"
========

SMS January 17th 07 08:23 AM

'Key wrote:
\
the keyway on the knob lock will also be 180 off.
the half moon shaft only goes through the spring-latch one
way. it is not reversable.

Right, looking at it I now see that. I wonder why they couldn't design
it so the half-moon shaft could go in either way.

The deadbolt requires reversing the shaft.

no it doesn't. in order to time a deadbolt,
with the key out of the lock, the tail-piece on the deadbolt
goes half way (centered) between all the way left and all
the way right,
no matter if it LH or RH...

Yeah, my mistake.

kitchens etc. January 17th 07 10:50 AM

"DanG" wrote in message
| It is really disruptive to give out bad and inaccurate advice.

I agree
stop doing that.

| door that swings away from you as you approach it with the hinges
| on the right hand side, is a right hand door. The same door
| pulling toward you is a right hand reverse.

what the hell are you talking about
"right hand reverse"
you mean left

no.....................your other left.

example:
in-swing door with hinge on right is a "left hinged" door.

when entering (pushing a door open) whichever side the hinge is on
IS THE HINGED SIDE.

unless it is a cabinet door
then it is based on the pull of the door.

kitchens etc. January 17th 07 10:56 AM

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
| | not true
| kwikset locks have an anti-theft pin so that can't happen.
| do I hear another bet?
|
| You're on because I know I will win, because I actually had to break
| into my last house once because my landlady inadvertantly locked the
| front screen door on me and I didn't have a key to the back door. It
is
| a kwikset and I got into the house using only my library card. I've
| done this before on other similar locks using a flexible plastic sheet
| intended for protecting the little "in case of fire" placards you see
| mounted over fire alarm pull stations. (it is so thoughtful of
building
| engineers to put just the tool you need to break into a space right
near
| the exit doors LOL)
|
| locks are to keep the honest people honest.
|
| AGREED!
|
| criminals would just break a window, lock or no lock.
|
| You've got a better chance of a neighbor hearing someone break a
window
| than you do having them hear someone "card" a lockset. And I can do
it
| with pretty much any lockset, not just kwikset. If you don't have a
| deadbolt, you essentially have no security at all.
|
| nate

you (or someone) must have installed your lock wrong.
when an anti theft pin is installed correctly.
the latch will not budge even with a c.c. because the pin is depressed
half way to prevent this from happening.

pay up little man
put that **** in my hand

Stormin Mormon January 17th 07 03:00 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Guess that makes TWO guys who have never worked on a Kwikset knob
lock?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[email protected] January 17th 07 05:07 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:45:51 -0800, Steve wrote:
The cylinder clips in place with two spring steel clips at 180 degrees to
one another. This allows it to be flipped for proper keyway orientation.
It's designed for removal with a special tool but you you can also probe the
clips from the rear with a sharp pick or other instrument.

It would be nice to have a DIAGRAM of those two apparently deeply hidden
clips as locating them was too difficult for me when I tried on my own. The
good news is I complained to Kwikset on their web site and they very kindly
responded multiple tikmes to my email.

The first time they responded, they said many people just leave the locks
upside down. When I responded back that I thought that was unprofessional,
they kindly wrote back that they would send me the tool for free.

I must say that my anger at them subsided at that point as the Kwikset
support person was truly trying to help me.

Note that this
lock is also vulnerable to a widely available tool that removes the cylinder
from the front even while locked so the security that it provides is next to
nill.

I've since learned this is a "grade 3" lock and that a grade 1 or 2 would
be better. Since the door has glass panels, I wonder if it really matters.
I guess breaking glass leaves a mess while removing the lock cylinder does
not?

If a thief removes the lock cylinder with that tool, does it leave a
telltale mess or is it transparent?

Roger Cann January 17th 07 05:32 PM

wrote in message
[...]

The tool that Kwikset will send you works from the inside of the lock after
removing the spindle.
You have to take the lock off the door first. A crook wouldn't use that
tool... Maybe an exterior used cylinder removal tool like the A-1 Puller.
That lock will work fine on that glass door (oil the **** out of it prior to
installation). Besides there're going to get in anyway if they want.
Glass....

I can't believe how long this subject is floating around. HD and Lowes has
that tool in there rekeying kit.
They would've popped the cylinder out for you for free. At least they do
and would've here! Hell I would've done it for free.
With my fancy Rytan removal tool. :-) Kwikset probably sent you a tool
just to stop all the emails (polite way of saying "shut you up").
They probably caught wind of all these.

Roger

SMS January 17th 07 07:02 PM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guess that makes TWO guys who have never worked on a Kwikset knob
lock?

Actually I've worked on them extensively, doing re-keying at least three
times in my house, and once at someone elses house. I just never ran
into this situation.

DB January 18th 07 12:18 AM

wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:45:51 -0800, Steve wrote:
The cylinder clips in place with two spring steel clips at 180 degrees to
one another. This allows it to be flipped for proper keyway orientation.
It's designed for removal with a special tool but you you can also probe
the
clips from the rear with a sharp pick or other instrument.

It would be nice to have a DIAGRAM of those two apparently deeply hidden
clips as locating them was too difficult for me when I tried on my own.

You have to remove the spindle and then probe down the spindle hole. If you
don't have the tool and have to do them one at a time it helps to insert a
key in the lock and use it to pull so the clip you did doesn't pop back
while you do the 2nd one. It can also just be knocked out like other people
have suggested.

Here it is step by step:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze...kwikrekey.html

[email protected] January 18th 07 12:39 AM

DB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Has this horse been beat to death yet?

goma865 January 18th 07 01:51 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

If a thief removes the lock cylinder with that tool, does it leave a
telltale mess or is it transparent?

Chances are they won't take the time to replace the pop-out.But even if
they do, it will look like someone drove a screw into the keyway.
The Kwikset-or Tylo, or "kwikkie" or "pop-job" is a very prolific and
cheap lock that lots of people buy because they are cheap.
I have done plenty of them when I first started doing locksmithing
years ago.
I don't work on them or rekey them that much because they are so easily
replaced.
Like the other guy said-you bring it to the shop-I'd probably do it for
free.
There's probably a lockie out there that would do that-or not for very
much.

Next time you want a lock for a door, go stand in front of the door.If
it's the front door stand on the outside and stand right in front of
where the knob/lever is.
Now position your body so that half of you is in front of the door and
the other half of you is front of the wall next to the knob/lever.
In other words imagine that the frame of the door (next to where the
knob/lever is)is a vertical line running parallel to the middle of your
body.
Stand a few feet away from the frame with your arms down.
Now bend your arms at the elbows like you are shooting 2 pistols from
the hip.
Which hand is closer to the knob/lever?
If left hand-It is a left hand door
If right hand-it is a right hand door
If the door opens outward in either case-it is reverse.
So it could be right hand-(If your right hand is closest and it opens
inward)or right hand reverse-(If your right hand is closest and the
door opens outward)
Or left hand-or left hand reverse.

Alot of grade 1 and 2 locks will be handed, so you are better off,
especially if you can tell a locksmith"Well, I need a deadbolt for a
Left-Hand door" or "I need a deadbolt for a right hand reverse door".

Hope this helps.
goma.

Stormin Mormon January 18th 07 02:36 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Next time you do. Please try to reverse the handing of the lock
by twisting the exterior knob 180 degrees (leave the cylinder
in). Then put it all back together. Uh, er, I mean TRY to put it
back together.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Stormin Mormon January 18th 07 02:37 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Beat to death, and starting to turn to glue.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Has this horse been beat to death yet?

[email protected] January 18th 07 06:06 AM

On 17 Jan 2007 17:51:06 -0800, goma865 wrote:
Which hand is closer to the knob/lever?
If left hand-It is a left hand door
If right hand-it is a right hand door
If the door opens outward in either case-it is reverse.

I'm confused.

In this thread, people already previously said the handedness was simply a
matter of where the hinges are. If the hinges are on the right, it's a
right hand door. If the hinges are on the left, it's a left hand door. Or
so I was told.

Is that not true?
Does it really depend on whether the door opens outward or inward?

Roger Cann January 18th 07 01:22 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

on some locks... rh, lh, lhr, & rhr... on some locks and strikes it
matters.. not on a Kwikset and rarely if ever a deadbolt!
Roger

Steve January 18th 07 04:25 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Beat to death, and starting to turn to glue.

--

Then considering you were the first to respond to it why didn't you just
give a useful answer the first time you responded? Come to think of it I

Stormin Mormon January 18th 07 04:32 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

If the door swings out, it's called a "reverse bevel".

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Steve January 18th 07 04:34 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm wondering how many end users have that skill?

Stormy if you can do it they can do it. Most end users know that if change
keys in a master key system ghost to locks they aren't supposed to open the
problem needs to be addressed instead of covered up in hopes the customer
will "never find out". I've said it before I'll say it again: You are
nothing but a hack ripping off the customers you work for. You are living
proof of the uselessness of beauracracy. If it were worth anything your
'locksmith' and HVAC/refrigeration 'repair' activities would have been shut
down long ago.

From: "Stormin Mormon"
Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing

.com
.com
Subject: anyone have experience using masterkeypro2006 ?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:26:27 -0500
Two works, in many cases. I did a MK in a factory where someone
had filed and ground the plugs. I ended up making a 4-step, and
even then I could jiggle a couple of the keys to get em to work
in different doors. I hope they never find out.

--

Christopher A. Young

Steve January 18th 07 04:38 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"'Key" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

"'Key" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message

"'Key" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:14:28 -0800,
wrote:
Where can I find PICTURES or DIAGRAMS of the
procedure
flip a Kwikset
entry lock from the left-hand keyhole position to a
right-handed lock?

This PDF of the type of instructions that come with
my
Kwikset entry lock
does not explain how to reverse an upside down
keyway.
http://tinyurl.com/ymefs4

Oh my, I just realized I have to REMOVE THE LOCK
CYLINDER
in order to
switch the Kwikset lock from a left-hand upside-down
keyhole to a
right-hand right-side up keyway!
http://tinyurl.com/yzhu5d

So much for the "Easy Installation" and "Fits All
Doors"
on the package! :(

Why doesn't Kwikset just LABEL their package for
left-hand
doors only?

because Kwikset doesn't need to.
your links should be self explanatory.
once the cylinder is removed,
it can be re-installed any way needed..

--
"Key"
========

That's all true but the fact is since they sell their
product, probably most
of it, at retail straight to consumers, who for the
most
part won't know how
to remove the cylinder, they should IMHO include good
directions and the
tool and just add a couple bucks to the cost of the
lockset. They could also
sell it with loose cylinders to be popped in at install
once the handing was
known.

agree, they shue could.
they use to include a tool in the box.
but that was many years ago...

--
"Key"
========

Before my time. I always thought they should put one in
there. Cost to them
would be less than 50 cents (I can never remember the
ASCII code for that
damn cent sign when I want it).

¢ = push #Alt and #155 at the same time...

g'day
--
"Key"
========

Thanks

DB January 18th 07 09:26 PM

Flip Kwikset to Schlage

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I used to like Schlage, when they had the two piece exterior
knobs. The new ones with the one piece knob are garbage. I bought
a couple of them to install for a customer, and had to take em
back.

--

Schlage is a waaaaayyyyyy better lock than Kwikset.

DB January 18th 07 09:28 PM

"SMS" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guess that makes TWO guys who have never worked on a Kwikset knob
lock?

Actually I've worked on them extensively, doing re-keying at least three
times in my house, and once at someone elses house. I just never ran into
this situation.

Then you just got lucky because they have to be flipped fairly often. The
odds are about 50/50 on any given job.

'Key January 19th 07 03:14 AM

wrote in message
On 17 Jan 2007 17:51:06 -0800, goma865 wrote:
Which hand is closer to the knob/lever?
If left hand-It is a left hand door
If right hand-it is a right hand door
If the door opens outward in either case-it is reverse.

I'm confused.

In this thread, people already previously said the
handedness was simply a
matter of where the hinges are. If the hinges are on the
right, it's a
right hand door. If the hinges are on the left, it's a
left hand door. Or
so I was told.

Is that not true?
Does it really depend on whether the door opens outward or
inward?

a.. Left Hand (LH): If the hinges are on the left and the
door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the door with
your left hand.
a.. Right Hand (RH): If the hinges are on the right and
the door opens in, it's a right hand door. You push the door
with your right hand.
a.. Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on the left
and the door opens out, it's a left hand reverse door. You
pull the door with your left hand.
a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the
right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse
door. You pull the door with your right hand.

a.. Another way to determine door "handing" is to imagine
yourself standing in the doorway with your back against the
hinges. Swing your right or left arm in the way that the
door swings. If you swing your left arm then the door is
left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed.
This method does not require a reference such as "from the
outside" or "from the inside".

above from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door

check out (Door Swings) about 2/3rd down the page...

g'day

--
"Key"
========

[email protected] January 19th 07 04:42 AM

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:14:45 -0600, you wrote:
a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the
right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse
door. You pull the door with your right hand.

Good news.

It might have taken a hundred posts, but now I have my Kwikset "Tylo" lock
cylinders properly set into the entry knobs on my RHR entrance doorway.

Rather than wait for the rather helpful Kwikset Consumer Support to send me
the Kwikset cylinder removal tool which they said was in the mail, I went
back to Home Depot armed with the helpful suggestions in this thread.

With the confidence gained by all of you posting the information in this
thread, I asked for the locks to be reversed. The first floor person said
there was no such thing. I didn't waver as I had a printout of your posts
in hand. He brought them to the lock-department floor person who said the
Kwikset entry knob cylinder reversal instructions were in the package. I
gently said "I wish it were true". He analysed the instructions for about
three or four minutes before conceding this was true.

Luckily I flagged down the key cutter who knew how to remove the Kwikset
Tylo entry knob lock cylinder. She too never knew about the cylinder
reversal needs but, after reading my printout of these posts, she at least
popped the lock cylinder out in seconds for me. In addition, she handed me
a spare Kwikset cylinder removal tool and said "keep it" as she had plenty
in her key drawer.

I thank all of you for the expert advice. Without you, I would have gotten
the wrong answer at Home Depot.

Even the, shall we say, less than expert advice was helpful in that it
helped me gain the confidence that I wasn't the only one clueless about how
to properly buy the right lock for my RHR entry doorway!

Thanks to you all this record will help everyone who comes after us with
the same lock questions!

Stormin Mormon January 19th 07 02:12 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium
grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything
but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking
for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all
across US do as part of their trade.

Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a
period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would
have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her)
job.

I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other
lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)"
instead of doing internet teaching for free.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Stormin Mormon January 19th 07 02:13 PM

Flip Kwikset to Schlage

I guess you havn't used the new ones. The new ones with the one
piece external handle are just total undiluted garbage.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"DB" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

message

Stormin Mormon January 19th 07 02:14 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Is he the guy who says to just remove the screws, and turn the
knob right side up?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[email protected] January 20th 07 04:58 AM

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?
What's wrong with learning?
What's wrong with Home Depot?
What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot and
asking questions on the usenet?

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears. A door lock seems like a common enough
household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you
suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I
could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a
stronger lock.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the "Titans"
but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset
package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five inch
latches.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans?
Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security
on?

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts
(although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it
really matters to have grade 1 locks).

Sandra

gamer January 20th 07 05:17 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

wrote:

What's wrong with Home Depot?

There's not enough time to explain. Think about it, why has there
stock tanked over recent years while the housing market was booming?

Service, Service, Service - plus paying their corporate heads millions
for being incompetent.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

Both Sears and Lowes are far superior.

goma865 January 20th 07 09:45 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Why so cruel?

Cause he is SO ****ed off about a prolific, disposable nine dollar lock
that he can't help it.He sees the conglomerate of Home Depot as a
looming fire-breathing dragon that will fry him like an egg.He worships
the Tylo like a holy grail-LOL-He probably has a 2x4 poster of a
Kwikset over his bed.
Oh yes he has Kwikset on his front door-Whoopee ****-If he had a Yale
5400, then he could rub shoulders with the elite class, but he
can't...so he takes it out on you, an innocent consumer who knows how
to ask questions in order to get things done,and that shows
intelligence-And He can't handle it!!!!
He carries a pickle fork!!! And he knows how to use it!!! (as an
ass-scratcher)
Just ignore him!!!
What's wrong with learning?

Nothing-we are all learning.Once we quit learning or refuse to learn-we
are done.

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They just suck-they stock way too much garbage and they don't pay their
workers ****!!!
A competent locksmith beats them all to hell when it comes to service.
Home Depot's delivery time to recieve something that is not in the
store-2 weeks or never.
My time-three to 5 days.
What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

Nothing-Any time you have a question-post it here.
Did you try the spindle move?
It does work-had to do that last night-LOL
Did'nt mean to confuse you by "shooting from the hip" but that's the
way I do it.

goma.

Stormin Mormon January 21st 07 04:35 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out
and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

What's wrong with learning?

CY: You can apprentice like anyone else. Learning is good. But
expecting it for free is different.

What's wrong with Home Depot?

CY: They are my competition.

What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

CY: What's wrong with asking (for free) for the wisdom I worked
to learn?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew

as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at

Home Depot and
asking questions on the usenet?

CY: Yep. Compared to getting good service by hiring a pro.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is

other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

CY: Hint: Open yellow pages. Look under L section. Look for
heading "Locksmith".

A door lock seems like a common enough
household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones

that you
suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the

impression that I
could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the

deadbolt was a
stronger lock.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal

puller?
CY: Well, your ignorance is showing again. I'm not going to tell
you why.

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for

the "Titans"
but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on

the Kwikset
package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all

my five inch
latches.

CY: Actually, my suggestion is to call a locksmith. You're being
a cheepskate, still. Which doesn't surprise me, cause leopards
seldom change t heir spots.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans?
Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking

my security
on?

CY: If you want security, call a locksmith.

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our

deadbolts
(although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how

much it
really matters to have grade 1 locks).

CY: Your local locksmith can answer qeustions.

Sandra

'Key January 21st 07 05:47 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up
about ?
this is "alt.locksmithing"
the guy wasn't asking defeating instructions.
also
home depot is not any locksmiths competition.

--
"Key"
========

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying
locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to
come out
and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

any locksmith that has been working in the trade for a month
probably knew the answer
to his question.
locksmithing is NOT brain surgery...

What's wrong with learning?

CY: You can apprentice like anyone else. Learning is good.
But
expecting it for free is different.

he just asked a question and it wasn't even a defeating
question.

What's wrong with Home Depot?

CY: They are my competition.

no they arten't.

What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

CY: What's wrong with asking (for free) for the wisdom I
worked
to learn?

again,
locksmithing is NOT brain surgery...

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that
knew

as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping
at

Home Depot and
asking questions on the usenet?

CY: Yep. Compared to getting good service by hiring a pro.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware
is

other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

CY: Hint: Open yellow pages. Look under L section. Look
for
heading "Locksmith".

locksmiths are not the only place to get hardware.

'Key January 21st 07 05:54 AM

"'Key" wrote in message
I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up
about ?
this is "alt.locksmithing"
the guy wasn't asking defeating instructions.
also
home depot is not any locksmiths competition.

--
"Key"
========

the above is all I meant to include in my response.
just hit that send button before I trimmed it..

g'day
--
"Key"
========

timO' January 21st 07 03:28 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

it took me like an hour to read all these!.

The lock will work upside down, but is designed to work so that the
teeth on the key are up when inserted into the lock.
The kwikset cylinder is constructed with plastic parts so it cannot be
beaten on too aggressively.
You can pop it out with a screwdriver and brute force, but you stand a
good chance of damaging the assembly.

Initially, once you determined that the handing of the lock(s) was
incorrect, you could have returned to the store and if the guys in the
store didn't have the ability to switch them over with the simple tool
that is used for this task, then swap them out for Schlage which are
easy to reverse with a pointed tool (ice pick or equivalent). When you
are buying the Schlages, ask then to reverse the hand for you in the
store first, or show you how, or leave the knobs off the locks until
you've mounted them on the door, then pop the exterior knobs on with
the cylinders correctly oriented.
Or
If you went to a locksmith in the first place, you would have been
directed to the right lock for the project, and they could have rekeyed
the new lock to match the existing locks in your home, and made you a
few spare keys. Locksmiths will alsrekey and adjust locks brought in to
them, even if you bought the locks elswhere. Call first so you know
they will do it, and they will be in the shop when you arrive.

If these were new installs, or you encountered other problems, such as
the existing holes in the door were too small to accept the new
hardware, then having a locksmith do it would have ensured a clean and
proper installation.
Having a little experience, mechanical aptitude and a few special tools
makes all the difference in the world.
A major portion of most locksmiths' key cutting, is for folks who tried
to get keys duplicated in a hardware store or home center; and the keys
they were provided don't work.

As pointed out elsewhere, the home centers usually carry the lowest
tier of product, so even if the lock is a 'brand' name, you are not
really getting the quality that you are expecting because the lock
company built their reputation on quality which is not present in
low-end residential products.

But it's like that in every market; manufacturers exploiting a brand
name built up over decades. and slipping in off-shore junk on you. But
on the other hand, the home centers are responding to what their
clients are demanding, and what has become the new way of thinking; buy
cheap and throw it away when it breaks.
With locks, and other critical items however, if it breaks, it may
result in a burglary or personal injury.

That's where a locksmith is also valuable, he won't sell you something
if he doesn't believe in it, because he knows the products, takes pride
in his profession, and is a businessman and knows you'll call him up
and he'll have to go back and make good on the job (referred to as a
call-back)

Hope this helps
(I hope all you guys are all Locksmith Ledger readers!)

Ralph January 23rd 07 06:26 PM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

I've been wanting to know how to print the cent sign for some time.
Thanks VERY much for the info!! I can do it now and it even works with
Word Perfect! ¢

And I didn't know how to input ascii characters before, either.

Ralph

DB January 24th 07 01:35 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium
grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything
but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking
for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all
across US do as part of their trade.

Newflash: That's what Usenet is for. If you don't like it don't answer the
question. Don't be surprised when nobody answers yours either though.

Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a
period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would
have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her)
job.

Be realistic why would anybody pay a service call just to have a $12.99 lock
cylinder reveresed????? My trip charge would be just under 5X what they paid
for the lock. Let the store they came from do it. They sold the lock, let
them provide some customer service.

I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other
lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)"
instead of doing internet teaching for free.

?????? That was what you already said in the very first reply to this
monster thread:

" Just call a locksmith and be done with it.".

DB January 24th 07 01:38 AM

"gamer" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

There's not enough time to explain. Think about it, why has there stock
tanked over recent years while the housing market was booming?

Service, Service, Service - plus paying their corporate heads millions for
being incompetent.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

Both Sears and Lowes are far superior.

Sears doesn't compete with HD in many if not most areas. Many
Sears/Craftsman brand power tools are also total Chinese made crap. As far
as customer service Lowes is about the same. No better no worse except that
they don't have self checkout so you will wait longer to get out the door.

DB January 24th 07 01:46 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out
and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

Do you paint your own house? Clean your own house? Fix your own car? Wash
your own car? Do any of your own home reapirs? Mow your lawn? Unstop your
own tiolet or sinks? If the answer to any of the above is yes then you are
no different than the person you're whining at. There are people that do all
those things for profit. You are taking money out of their pocket, you cheap
greedy SOB.

DB January 24th 07 01:50 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"timO'" wrote in message
oups.com...
it took me like an hour to read all these!.

The lock will work upside down, but is designed to work so that the
teeth on the key are up when inserted into the lock.
The kwikset cylinder is constructed with plastic parts

No it isn't.

DB January 24th 07 02:32 AM

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Ralph" wrote in message
link.net...
I've been wanting to know how to print the cent sign for some time. Thanks
VERY much for the info!! I can do it now and it even works with Word
Perfect! ¢

And I didn't know how to input ascii characters before, either.

Ralph

On some machines it is: alt + 0162 (have to use the num pad). Some will
accept either 155 or 0162, some just one or the other.