Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick over an old block extension

I have an old block extension on the back of the house and about 3
truck loads of old brick salvaged from a house built in the same year
as mine. I want to cover the hideous block and insulate the room. I
have done some searching and think I need to put up back tar paper
first then the insulation then the brick? Should I dig out and pour a
foundation for the brick? If so how deep? Can I use one string of
bricks or does it have to be "tied" with two strings? The wall is
about 10 foot long and 9 foot high at the back, 8 foot by 9 foot on the
side and 10x9 on the front with a 6 foot by 4 foot window in the
centre. I have enough brick to do the front and side and might have to
stucco the back. All coaching much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mulan wrote:
I have an old block extension on the back of the house and about 3
truck loads of old brick salvaged from a house built in the same year
as mine. I want to cover the hideous block and insulate the room. I
have done some searching and think I need to put up back tar paper
first then the insulation then the brick? Should I dig out and pour a
foundation for the brick? If so how deep? Can I use one string of
bricks or does it have to be "tied" with two strings? The wall is
about 10 foot long and 9 foot high at the back, 8 foot by 9 foot on the
side and 10x9 on the front with a 6 foot by 4 foot window in the
centre. I have enough brick to do the front and side and might have to
stucco the back. All coaching much appreciated.

Look at the BIA (Brick Industry Association) web site.
The Tech Notes cover a lot of what you are asking.
Also, look in the library for a basic masonry text.
TB