Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

Default plumbing valve question

Yesterday I replaced my kitchen faucet and in doing so I needed to turn off
the water at the valve under the sink. After I was done I noticed the cold
water valve has developed a small drip which it wasn't before.

If you look at this image http://mysite.verizon.net/iunknown/valve1.jpg you
can see where the red arrow points to where the drip is occurring. It isn't
wet in the picture because I wiped off the water to try to find the specific
source. It appears that it is coming from around the stem.

My question is does the valve come apart by unscrewing where the red arrow
points and is a general replacement valve part or is this more serious in
that the pipe needs to be cut and a new valve soldered in?

Also in this image http://mysite.verizon.net/iunknown/valve2.jpg I'm curious
as to what this knob does?

and finally all the green covering the valve, does that indicate a high
concentration of something in my water?

Thanks alot !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

My question is does the valve come apart by unscrewing where the red arrow
points and is a general replacement valve part or is this more serious in
that the pipe needs to be cut and a new valve soldered in?

Yes that part of the valve comes apart. Try tightening that nut a bit
first though, this might stop your drip. If not, then under that nut is
an rubber o'ring which you can find at your local hardware shop. Close
the valve, then Take the handle off by unscrewing the screw on the from
of handle, then it comes right off. Then loosen the nut on valve, and
you will find that o'ring. Very simple fix.

and finally all the green covering the valve, does that indicate a high
concentration of something in my water?

Dont concern yourself of it, its normal with brass, your valve should
be fine.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

That fitting can likely be tightened down SLIGHTLY, and that will
control the "drip." There is packing under that bonnet. This is a
common problem. As to the other fitting, it is a bleed cap, used to get
air out of the system. You might want to replace the packing... small
packages in the plumbing department. Either the graphite or teflon
types work fine. Handy stuff to have around for just his sort of thing.
It looks like little pieces of string. Just wrap it around the valve
stem, and put the bonnet back on. It is easier if you remove the valve
handle.

HOWEVER, that valve seems pretty corroded. I would give serious thought
to putting in a new valve. They are cheap enough. Of course, pull the
new valve apart before you solder, so as to avoid destroying the seals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you replace the valve, put in a ball valve in order to avoid this
problem in the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the little cap in pic #2 is a drain back. After turning the valve off, you
remove that cap and it allows the downstream side to be "drained back" to
empty it.

--
Steve Barker

"J" wrote in message news:FO7nh.4037$Uf.2354@trndny07...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

the little cap in pic #2 is a drain back. After turning the valve off, you
remove that cap and it allows the downstream side to be "drained back" to
empty it.

That may be true, but I always thought that those things were for
connecting up a pressure gauge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Thanks , tightening the nut did the trick. It's good to know that I can
replace parts of the valve before the actual valve itself, I'm sure that
knowledge will come in handy someday.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

"professorpaul" wrote in message
oups.com...
That fitting can likely be tightened down SLIGHTLY, and that will
control the "drip." There is packing under that bonnet. This is a
common problem. As to the other fitting, it is a bleed cap, used to get
air out of the system. You might want to replace the packing... small
packages in the plumbing department. Either the graphite or teflon
types work fine. Handy stuff to have around for just his sort of thing.
It looks like little pieces of string. Just wrap it around the valve
stem, and put the bonnet back on. It is easier if you remove the valve
handle.

HOWEVER, that valve seems pretty corroded. I would give serious thought
to putting in a new valve. They are cheap enough. Of course, pull the

Thanks. I tightened the nut and the drop stopped.

new valve apart before you solder, so as to avoid destroying the seals.

That's good to know, I will be replacing it at some point so I'm glad you
mentioned that because I wouldn't of thought of that.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you replace the valve, put in a ball valve in order to avoid this
problem in the future.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
J J is offline

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
the little cap in pic #2 is a drain back. After turning the valve off,
you remove that cap and it allows the downstream side to be "drained back"
to empty it.

--
Steve Barker

Interesting, Thanks !!!