Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default older home, and plaster walls question- fixing nicks etc..

I have finally removed several layers of wall paper in a home around 50
years old. These walls are plaster, nice and thick.

Apparently there was some damage time ago and the prev home owner
repaired areas with sheetrock.. They patched areas. After removing the
wall paper I can see the seams from the sheetrock and the walls are
uneven with the plaster. In other words I have some areas that are 3 by
3 that have been patched with sheetrock, the rest remain plaster. I
want to paint these walls. Instead of skimcoating, which would be quite
costly, I am patching the areas of and will then sand. I have been
using wall board joint compound. Tool wise, what is the best tool to
apply this? I have been using one of those flexible spatulas.. any
advice one can offer on how to save these walls? Do not want to wall
paper

Posted to alt.home.repair

use a bonding agent on the old plastered sections of wall otherwise the
joint compound will not stick.
also I would recommend using a wide mesh (3 ft) on the wall (after
bonding agent) to tighten up the old plaster and sheetrock seams.

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
|I have finally removed several layers of wall paper in a home around 50
| years old. These walls are plaster, nice and thick.
|
| Apparently there was some damage time ago and the prev home owner
| repaired areas with sheetrock.. They patched areas. After removing
the
| wall paper I can see the seams from the sheetrock and the walls are
| uneven with the plaster. In other words I have some areas that are 3
by
| 3 that have been patched with sheetrock, the rest remain plaster. I
| want to paint these walls. Instead of skimcoating, which would be
quite
| costly, I am patching the areas of and will then sand. I have been
| using wall board joint compound. Tool wise, what is the best tool to
| apply this? I have been using one of those flexible spatulas.. any
| advice one can offer on how to save these walls? Do not want to wall
| paper

Fixing Heavy Items to Lath and Plaster Walls [email protected] UK diy 2 August 28th 06 11:42 PM
Replacing plaster walls zxcvbob Home Repair 3 February 20th 06 06:33 PM
papering plaster walls [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 6th 05 12:00 PM
painting plaster walls sam UK diy 2 December 21st 04 11:59 PM
tiling plaster walls. [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 12th 04 02:31 AM