DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chemical smell in well water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187965-chemical-smell-well-water.html)

Rand Reed January 3rd 07 06:20 PM

Chemical smell in well water

We have a well that is contaminated with:

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

The water smells like some sort of chemical and there is some yellow
staining. Carbon filtration does not work, and the local water
conditioning companies do not know what to do about it.

We already have a neutralizer and water softener installed and these
levels are tested by a certified lab from water sample taken AFTER
those devices. If those devices are bypassed the water is brown and
horrible!

We would like to find out if there is a way to get that chemical stuff
out of our water.

Can you please help us?

JoeSpareBedroom January 3rd 07 06:33 PM

Chemical smell in well water

"Rand Reed" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a well that is contaminated with:

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

The water smells like some sort of chemical and there is some yellow
staining. Carbon filtration does not work, and the local water
conditioning companies do not know what to do about it.

We already have a neutralizer and water softener installed and these
levels are tested by a certified lab from water sample taken AFTER
those devices. If those devices are bypassed the water is brown and
horrible!

We would like to find out if there is a way to get that chemical stuff
out of our water.

Can you please help us?

Please answer these questions clearly, and separately:

1) How long have you lived in this house?

2) Before you moved into the house, did you have the water tested?

3) What state do you live in?

4) Have you spoken to your local health department AND your state's
environmental enforcement agency?

Goedjn January 3rd 07 07:03 PM

On 3 Jan 2007 10:20:01 -0800, "Rand Reed" wrote:

We have a well that is contaminated with:

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

The water smells like some sort of chemical and there is some yellow
staining. Carbon filtration does not work, and the local water
conditioning companies do not know what to do about it.

We already have a neutralizer and water softener installed and these
levels are tested by a certified lab from water sample taken AFTER
those devices. If those devices are bypassed the water is brown and
horrible!

We would like to find out if there is a way to get that chemical stuff
out of our water.

Can you please help us?

I think I'd go with a distillation unit at that point.
Or a water catchment. the benzenes and toluenes mean
the well water isn't potable, don't they?

JoeSpareBedroom January 3rd 07 07:17 PM

"Goedjn" wrote in message
[...]

Whether it's potable depends to a great extent on what political party
appointed the current EPA stooge, but according to scientists, those
chemicals are a bad thing.

Doug Miller January 3rd 07 08:27 PM

Chemical smell in well water

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message
.. .
On 3 Jan 2007 10:20:01 -0800, "Rand Reed" wrote:

We have a well that is contaminated with:

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

[snip]
Whether it's potable depends to a great extent on what political party
appointed the current EPA stooge, but according to scientists, those
chemicals are a bad thing.

Well, they certainly aren't anything *good* -- but also keep in mind that
micrograms per liter (ug/L) is equivalent to parts per *billion*.

For fluorobenzene at least, the oral LD50 in rats is on the order of 4.4g/kg
body mass. (http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/FL/fluorobenzene.html)

A 70kg human being would need to drink 32 million liters of the OP's water to
get a dose that high.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom January 3rd 07 08:32 PM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yeah, but the chemical companies say tests on rats are no longer valid.
Anyway...the guy still needs to look into his problem.

Goedjn January 3rd 07 11:58 PM

Chemical smell in well water

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:27:37 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Good point, in that I'd ignore the units. On the other hand,
LD-50 isn't really the standard I'd prefer to use for my
drinking water. Who did the water assay, and do they have
a recommendation?

Doug Miller January 4th 07 12:04 PM

In article , Goedjn wrote:

Good point, in that I'd ignore the units. On the other hand,
LD-50 isn't really the standard I'd prefer to use for my
drinking water.

Well, no, but it does give a useful figure for comparing to other hazards, and
for estimating relative danger.

--
Regards,

avid_hiker January 4th 07 02:54 PM

Chemical smell in well water

It seems that most chemicals listed here....the first 3 anyways, are
chemicals used in factories. Would you live close by a factory that may
use these in production of their goods? If so, they may be responsible
for a solution.

avid_hiker January 4th 07 02:59 PM

Chemical smell in well water

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contamin...ontamcode=2030

Pete C. January 4th 07 03:47 PM

avid_hiker wrote:

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contamin...ontamcode=2030

EWG has less than zero credibility. Try to find info from a reputable
source.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 03:55 PM

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contamin...ontamcode=2030

EWG has less than zero credibility. Try to find info from a reputable
source.

Here's some text from that link. Tell me what's not credible in this text:

p-Isopropyltoluene
tapwater for this contaminant.

p-Isopropyltoluene is a widely used industrial chemical, used in the
manufacture of paint, furniture, and other consumer goods. No information on
potential health impacts for p-Isopropyltoluene was identified in standard
government and academic sources.

Sources of p-Isopropyltoluene: Industry

An Environmental Working Group analysis of p-Isopropyltoluene tests reported
by 22,144 public water suppliers in 34 states shows that between 1998 and
2003, 4,641 people in 13 communities drank water contaminated with
p-Isopropyltoluene. No health-based limit has been established by the
federal government.p-Isopropyltoluene remains unregulated in tap water,
without a maximum legal limit.

Pete C. January 4th 07 04:38 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contamin...ontamcode=2030

EWG has less than zero credibility. Try to find info from a reputable
source.

Here's some text from that link. Tell me what's not credible in this text:

The source. If you want credible information try going to the EPA site.
Just because a few paragraphs on an EWG site do not contain glaring
mistakes, lies or errors does not in any way give them credibility.
Search around their site with some objectivity and you will find massive
bias, lies, mistakes, misrepresentation, misinterpretation, etc. Try
reading the "report" from some of their claimed "testing" and you will
find nothing but misrepresentation, lack of any scientific validity and
general nonsense.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 04:43 PM

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contamin...ontamcode=2030

EWG has less than zero credibility. Try to find info from a reputable
source.

Here's some text from that link. Tell me what's not credible in this
text:

The source. If you want credible information try going to the EPA site.
Just because a few paragraphs on an EWG site do not contain glaring
mistakes, lies or errors does not in any way give them credibility.
Search around their site with some objectivity and you will find massive
bias, lies, mistakes, misrepresentation, misinterpretation, etc. Try
reading the "report" from some of their claimed "testing" and you will
find nothing but misrepresentation, lack of any scientific validity and
general nonsense.

What about the water quality reports available on this page? Are they also
suspect?
http://www.mcwa.com/watqlsum.htm

Pete C. January 4th 07 05:18 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

[...]

Less likely to be suspect, though there have been a few cases where
water companies (municipal or not) have been less than honest.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 05:21 PM

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

[...]

OK. Back to that EWG site. Two questions:

1) On the specific page we're looking at, it appears they have compiled data
from water authorities. Assuming the original data was accurate (from the
authorities), and the web site gathered the data into larger statistics,
where is the fault, assuming there were no typographical errors when
entering the numbers for the charts & graphs?

2) Could you please point out at least one or two lies, mistakes, etc., on
that page or others?

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 05:25 PM

Chemical smell in well water

One other question: Are there any environmental organizations other than the
EPA which you consider reputable and dependable? Which ones?

Pete C. January 4th 07 06:13 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

[...]

There may be none on that page. This does not however validate EWG in
any way.

2) Could you please point out at least one or two lies, mistakes, etc., on
that page or others?

Find their page with the report on Teflon / PFOA / C8 for a good example
of pseudo science, distortion and bias.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 06:30 PM

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

[...]

OK. Saw the report. What specific things do you take issue with?

Pete C. January 4th 07 06:39 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
avid_hiker wrote:

[...]

Um, the complete lack of scientific methods? The hyping of a
"sophisticated infrared thermometer" to try to make this pseudo report
sound technical and the complete lack of any detail on how they
"determined" there was outgassing or what this alleged outgassing was
composed of? That's a good start. The fact that this "report"
materialized shortly after they decided to attack DuPont over alleged C8
pollution near a plant makes it even more pathetic.

Pete C. January 4th 07 07:10 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

One other question: Are there any environmental organizations other than the
EPA which you consider reputable and dependable? Which ones?

I'm not really sure these days. Unfortunately while some environmental
organizations may have started out reputable, much like the US political
parties, they have been gradually taken over by extremists and have lost
whatever credibility they had. Presumably there are some reputable ones
left, but they are probably also the ones that get little publicity
since they don't engage in distortion and attacks.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 07:13 PM

"Pete C." wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

One other question: Are there any environmental organizations other than
the
EPA which you consider reputable and dependable? Which ones?

I'm not really sure these days. Unfortunately while some environmental
organizations may have started out reputable, much like the US political
parties, they have been gradually taken over by extremists and have lost
whatever credibility they had. Presumably there are some reputable ones
left, but they are probably also the ones that get little publicity
since they don't engage in distortion and attacks.

I guess the extremists provide some balance, which is something we need,
since the EPA is sometimes handed over to administrators who are on the take
from the industries they're supposed to regulate.

avid_hiker January 4th 07 07:43 PM

Chemical smell in well water

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

I have been trying to research and help you out but having no luck in
finding any filtration systems that would deal with these
chemicals.......Fluorobenzene , 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane ,
p-Isopropyltoluene . From what I have found, I believe the iron and
Manganese are on the border line but below max tolerance.

The Fluorobenzene , 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane , p-Isopropyltoluene on the
other hand...............I dont know what to tell you.

Think you might be able to sell your home and move where the water is
good? I see no other way out. This is extreme, but in your case it
might be something to think about.

Good luck.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 07:49 PM

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

I have been trying to research and help you out but having no luck in
finding any filtration systems that would deal with these
chemicals.......Fluorobenzene , 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane ,
p-Isopropyltoluene . From what I have found, I believe the iron and
Manganese are on the border line but below max tolerance.

The Fluorobenzene , 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane , p-Isopropyltoluene on the
other hand...............I dont know what to tell you.

Think you might be able to sell your home and move where the water is
good? I see no other way out. This is extreme, but in your case it
might be something to think about.

Good luck.

In the future, you should post your responses to the person who asked the
question, not to other participants further down in the hierarchy of
messages.

avid_hiker January 4th 07 07:55 PM

Chemical smell in well water

I shall try to remember that.....and the reason being? dunno, but am
assuming that if receiving emails from this ng, that you get it as a
reply to your post? Is this true?

But thanks for telling me, as I would have never known.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 08:03 PM

Chemical smell in well water

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

I shall try to remember that.....and the reason being? dunno, but am
assuming that if receiving emails from this ng, that you get it as a
reply to your post? Is this true?

But thanks for telling me, as I would have never known.

I did not ask the question about the water problem, but you posted it as a
response to ME. Take another look at the google screen. Or better yet, stop
using google for newsgroups, and use news reader software.

avid_hiker January 4th 07 08:08 PM

Chemical smell in well water

I did not ask the question about the water problem, but you posted it as a
response to ME. Take another look at the google screen. Or better yet, stop
using google for newsgroups, and use news reader software.

Get a life Mr. Know-it-all, Ill use whatever I please, thankyou.
Oh...and this was a reply to you, not the post.

JoeSpareBedroom January 4th 07 09:30 PM

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

I did not ask the question about the water problem, but you posted it as
response to ME. Take another look at the google screen. Or better yet,
stop
using google for newsgroups, and use news reader software.

Get a life Mr. Know-it-all, Ill use whatever I please, thankyou.
Oh...and this was a reply to you, not the post.

Is this how you deal with *all* your mistakes?

Doug Miller January 4th 07 09:46 PM

In article .com, "avid_hiker" wrote:

I shall try to remember that.....and the reason being? dunno, but am
assuming that if receiving emails from this ng, that you get it as a
reply to your post? Is this true?

No, it's not.

Neither you nor anybody else receives emails from a news group.

Replies to your posts show up as, well, replies. On the news group. You may
occasionally receive an email *copy* of a post to the group, but that does not
come from the group -- it comes from the individual who made the post and
decided to send you a copy by email.

If you were using an actual news reader, rather than reading and posting
through a web interface, the operation of newsgroups might be a little more
clear to you.

--
Regards,

[email protected] January 4th 07 10:57 PM

avid_hiker wrote:
It seems that most chemicals listed here....the first 3 anyways, are
chemicals used in factories. Would you live close by a factory that may
use these in production of their goods? If so, they may be responsible
for a solution.

Time to call Erin Brokovich...

[email protected] January 5th 07 04:03 AM

[...]

If I had all that crap in my well, I'd drill a new well or find
another water source. The Iron, and Manganese are normal well type
minerals and are not really harmful, just irritating. But the first 3
are industrial chemcals. I am not a chemistry whiz, but I know they
are similar to paint thinners and/or gasoline. How is all this crap
getting into your well? Obviously there is some industry leaking this
stuff into the groundwater. Maybe a gas station with a leaky tank.
Have you contacted the EPA, your state DNR, and other govt. agencies?
This needs to be investigated and the source located. Then file a
court case and let the polluters pay for your new well.

Doug Miller January 5th 07 12:59 PM

In article , wrote:
On 3 Jan 2007 10:20:01 -0800, "Rand Reed" wrote:

We have a well that is contaminated with:

9.30 ug/L Fluorobenzene
9.20 ug/L 2-Bromo-1-Chloropropane
3.90 ug/L p-Isopropyltoluene
0.19 mg/L Iron, Total
0.04 mg/L Manganese, Total

If I had all that crap in my well, I'd drill a new well or find
another water source.

You'd go to that trouble and expense before finding out if the levels are
harmful?

The Iron, and Manganese are normal well type
minerals and are not really harmful, just irritating. But the first 3
are industrial chemcals.

They're also present at concentrations of less than ten parts per *billion*.

I am not a chemistry whiz, but I know they
are similar to paint thinners and/or gasoline.

Indeed you're not a chemistry whiz.

How is all this crap
getting into your well? Obviously there is some industry leaking this
stuff into the groundwater. Maybe a gas station with a leaky tank.
Have you contacted the EPA, your state DNR, and other govt. agencies?
This needs to be investigated and the source located. Then file a
court case and let the polluters pay for your new well.

The *first* thing to investigate is whether those chemicals are harmful at the
levels at which they're present. A quick Google search on fluorobenzene
toxicity suggests that that one, at least, may not be.

--
Regards,

avid_hiker January 5th 07 01:01 PM

Chemical smell in well water

Thankyou Doug.......it is nice to get a non sarcastic reply to my
questions. There are some good people in this world still....tg.

Thanks again,

Dean

JoeSpareBedroom January 5th 07 01:04 PM

Chemical smell in well water

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

......yet. It would still be good to know if the source can be pinpointed, so
he can know whether the contamination is still taking place, or likely to
increase or decrease.

Doug Miller January 5th 07 01:17 PM

Chemical smell in well water

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

......yet. It would still be good to know if the source can be pinpointed, so
he can know whether the contamination is still taking place, or likely to
increase or decrease.

I repeat: the *first* thing to do is find out if the chemicals are harmful at
the levels at which they are present.... for TWO reasons.

First, if they're not harmful, or close to the threshold at which they might
be, then the OP can set his mind at ease.

Second, and more important, if they *are* harmful, he needs to know that RIGHT
NOW so that he can take steps to obtain a safe water supply, and get whatever
medical attention may be needed.

Finding out where the contamination came from, and if it's still coming, are
(or should be) strictly secondary concerns. The primary concern is finding out
if it's a hazard at all, and if so, how much of a hazard it is. Everything
else can wait.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller January 5th 07 01:21 PM

Chemical smell in well water

In article .com, "avid_hiker" wrote:
Thankyou Doug.......it is nice to get a non sarcastic reply to my
questions. There are some good people in this world still....tg.

One more thing... when replying to posts, it's customary to quote at least
enough of the post that you're replying to that folks won't wonder what you're
talking about. :-)

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom January 5th 07 01:22 PM

wrote:

[...]

Agreed, except for the bit about "are they harmful". We've all seen ads
asking for people to participate in drug studies. We don't see ads asking
for people who are willing to be dosed with industrial chemicals. Since
*all* parties in the chemical debate now agree that studies on animals are
not conclusive, it's important to err on the side of safety. Otherwise, we
are unwitting guinea pigs.

Doug Miller January 5th 07 01:32 PM

Chemical smell in well water

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Agreed, except for the bit about "are they harmful". We've all seen ads
asking for people to participate in drug studies. We don't see ads asking
for people who are willing to be dosed with industrial chemicals. Since
*all* parties in the chemical debate now agree that studies on animals are
not conclusive, it's important to err on the side of safety. Otherwise, we
are unwitting guinea pigs.

Yes, but.

Where do you draw the line? Above some threshold level, almost *anything* is
harmful. It's impossible to eliminate risk from life. And while I freely admit
that I'm not a toxicologist, and don't actually know how dangerous those
chemicals might be, I imagine that the OP probably places himself in much
greater danger by driving to work in the morning than by drinking the water
from his well.

--
Regards,