Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dusty smell in hoouse

My house is 12 years old and when i enter the house it has
a dusty smell, I don't know where it is coming from. I have a
cellouse attic insulation, my carpets is 12 years old I got it steam
cleaned, I got my duct cleaned and i use good furnace filter and replace
it every 4 months. does the cellouse insulation in attic
cause this, if so, how can it pass through the drywall and what can
i do about it or is there something else which can cause dusty smell

rana
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rana_chappal" writes:

My house is 12 years old and when i enter the house it has
a dusty smell, I don't know where it is coming from. I have a
cellouse attic insulation, my carpets is 12 years old I got it steam
cleaned, I got my duct cleaned and i use good furnace filter and replace
it every 4 months. does the cellouse insulation in attic
cause this, if so, how can it pass through the drywall and what can
i do about it or is there something else which can cause dusty smell

Have you had the place all that time, or are you new to it?

12 year old carpet pad has my vote. Steam cleaning won't get
everything, unfortunately. Perhaps an old fabric couch? If it's
dusty/musty, you may have a water infiltration problem near a window
you'll want to hunt down quickly, or a roof leak issue that isn't
presenting itself anywhere visible. Or if you're new to the house,
perhaps the old owner was a smoker, and the goop is on the walls in
the wallboard, etc. It'll eventually dissipate if you're lucky.

I owned a house a smoker lived in and only smoked in the garage. That
garage smelled like a** for about 6 months, and then stopped being
noticeable when I came home. If you're in teh house long enough at a
given stretch, you get used to it, but smells at least for me are most
discernible when I first arrive from being out in the fresh air.

I'd be surprised if insulation had anything to do with it, unless it
has gotten wet.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rana_chappal" wrote in message
news:067f665ea00092caf1a97b9dbcab2aef@homerepairli ve.com...
My house is 12 years old and when i enter the house it has
a dusty smell, I don't know where it is coming from. I have a
cellouse attic insulation, my carpets is 12 years old I got it steam
cleaned, I got my duct cleaned and i use good furnace filter and replace
it every 4 months. does the cellouse insulation in attic
cause this, if so, how can it pass through the drywall and what can
i do about it or is there something else which can cause dusty smell

My guess would be mold. Do you live in a humid location?

Dusty house charlie Home Repair 14 December 14th 06 05:40 PM
Dusty house 2 Joe Home Repair 5 December 14th 06 04:20 PM
Cleaning Dusty Basement [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 29th 06 09:35 PM
Cleaning Dusty Basement [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 28th 06 04:01 PM
dusty condo, where is the filter? sam Home Repair 2 February 18th 05 12:21 AM