DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pieces of brown paper coming from vents??? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187714-pieces-brown-paper-coming-vents.html)

[email protected] January 1st 07 01:36 PM

Pieces of brown paper coming from vents???

I keep a pretty close eye on our central HVAC unit (located up in the
attic), and vacuum-clean the coils, check for leaks, etc. myself. The
last year or so, however, especially if it's been off for a day or two,
when it first comes on, little flakes of medium-brown paper, the
biggest about like the end of a pencil, come down from some of the
vents, about 10-20 pieces over a period of an hour. They're very thin
and brittle.

Can anybody tell me what this is and where it might be coming
from? I can't see anything like that in the central unit.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Joseph Meehan January 1st 07 01:52 PM

wrote:
I keep a pretty close eye on our central HVAC unit (located up in the
attic), and vacuum-clean the coils, check for leaks, etc. myself. The
last year or so, however, especially if it's been off for a day or
two, when it first comes on, little flakes of medium-brown paper, the
biggest about like the end of a pencil, come down from some of the
vents, about 10-20 pieces over a period of an hour. They're very thin
and brittle.

Can anybody tell me what this is and where it might be coming
from? I can't see anything like that in the central unit.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Are you sure it is paper, or does it look like paper?

If it is really paper, I would suspect rodent nesting material.

I would also consider it possible that it may be some brown coating
flaking off. Maybe even mud. How old is the duct work; age of home?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

[email protected] January 3rd 07 05:25 AM

wrote:
I keep a pretty close eye on our central HVAC unit (located up in the
attic), and vacuum-clean the coils, check for leaks, etc. myself. The
last year or so, however, especially if it's been off for a day or two,
when it first comes on, little flakes of medium-brown paper, the
biggest about like the end of a pencil, come down from some of the
vents, about 10-20 pieces over a period of an hour. They're very thin
and brittle.

Can anybody tell me what this is and where it might be coming
from? I can't see anything like that in the central unit.

Thanks,
Ron M.

perhaps perished duct tape ?