Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating Themostat Questions

Hello:

Have a very old Honeywell thermostat for our forced gas hot water heating
system which I need to
probably replace. Heating only.

Questions.

a. Do they still come typically with that Heat-Anticipator function ?

If so, how do I adjust it correctly ?

I seem to remember that you have to measure the current draw with a
milli-ohmmeter, which shouldn't present any problem for me if required.

If someone could please tell me the exact steps to go thru to set it
correctly, would be most appreciative.

b. Are the thermostats on the market now that do-Not use the mercury switch
type "just" as good, or,... ?

Any brands or types to avoid, etc.
Honeywell units still considered the best ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

My preference is thermostats made by White Rogers and they tend to be way
less expensive than Honeywell. If you buy a thermostat with an anticipator,
you want to set it for the current draw of the gas valve, or primary
control, that its attached to, and it will come with instructions for doing
that

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Have a very old Honeywell thermostat for our forced gas hot water heating
system which I need to
probably replace. Heating only.

Questions.

a. Do they still come typically with that Heat-Anticipator function ?

If so, how do I adjust it correctly ?

I seem to remember that you have to measure the current draw with a
milli-ohmmeter, which shouldn't present any problem for me if required.

If someone could please tell me the exact steps to go thru to set it
correctly, would be most appreciative.

b. Are the thermostats on the market now that do-Not use the mercury
switch type "just" as good, or,... ?

Any brands or types to avoid, etc.
Honeywell units still considered the best ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have a very old Honeywell thermostat for our forced gas hot water heating
system which I need to
probably replace. Heating only.

Questions.

a. Do they still come typically with that Heat-Anticipator function ?

If so, how do I adjust it correctly ?

I seem to remember that you have to measure the current draw with a
milli-ohmmeter, which shouldn't present any problem for me if required.

If someone could please tell me the exact steps to go thru to set it
correctly, would be most appreciative.

b. Are the thermostats on the market now that do-Not use the mercury switch
type "just" as good, or,... ?

Any brands or types to avoid, etc.
Honeywell units still considered the best ?

Thanks,
Bob

Over the years I've replaced numerous lower cost thermostats with
Honeywells. IMO the Honeywell medium to high line units are the best in
the business. Checking the archives in this and HVAC newsgroups will
confirm this and give you some insight as to the short service life of
the bargain brands. Probably most of them are better than they used to
be when engineers were struggling with electronic controls but I
suspect that other manufacturers are still playing catch up. YMMV

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Nice to hear that as a Honeywell retiree. Of course I use Honeywell
'stats and air cleaners. Looking at the setting on old one being
replaced set the new one at the same setting or valve body has label
showing current rating. It's not a rocket science.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anticipator is set to the current draw, in amperes. It's AC
current, so you'll need a meter that does AC amps. Typically, you
turn the stat down to the coldest setting. connect your ammeter
from red to white, which makes the furnace go into heat mode.
Read the AC amps, and then set the little slider in the stat to
about the same number as the ampere reading.

The folks on this board seem to like Honeywell.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

heating and cooling questions Mark Modrall Home Repair 4 July 30th 06 05:55 PM
AC/HEating Questions Mike Home Repair 5 July 3rd 06 01:12 AM
Underfloor Heating Questions razerindemix UK diy 0 March 5th 06 07:05 PM
AC themostat calibration miamicuse Home Repair 6 February 13th 06 02:07 PM
AC themostat repair? miamicuse Home Repair 7 February 8th 06 08:02 PM