DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plumbing Noise (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187175-plumbing-noise.html)

lee houston December 27th 06 05:01 AM

Plumbing Noise

"Christopher Flores" wrote in message
et...
I have been trying to diagnose a plumbing noise problem
with no success and would appreciate some more seasoned
advice.

Loose or worn rubber washer? Check the seat while you
have the stem out.

lee

Christopher Flores December 27th 06 05:03 AM

Plumbing Noise

I have been trying to diagnose a plumbing noise problem
with no success and would appreciate some more seasoned
advice.

When I open the upstairs bathroom sink cold water faucet
just a little I get a strong loud vibrating sound. It goes away
as I increase the water flow.

No problem with the hot water faucet or downstairs faucets
(hot and cold). I first thought it a hammer problem but that
supposedly only happens on closing faucets and anyway I
did bleed the system to all air back into the air chambers.
But this ghoulish noise persists.

Pointers much appreciated. Thanks.

Christopher
Oakland, CA

Toller December 27th 06 05:24 AM

Plumbing Noise

"Christopher Flores" wrote in message
et...
I have been trying to diagnose a plumbing noise problem
with no success and would appreciate some more seasoned
advice.

When I open the upstairs bathroom sink cold water faucet
just a little I get a strong loud vibrating sound. It goes away
as I increase the water flow.

No problem with the hot water faucet or downstairs faucets
(hot and cold). I first thought it a hammer problem but that
supposedly only happens on closing faucets and anyway I
did bleed the system to all air back into the air chambers.
But this ghoulish noise persists.

I had noises like that and found that nearly all my pipe supports had pulled
out.
But I expect there are many causes for plumbing noises.

Tom The Great December 27th 06 05:40 PM

Plumbing Noise

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:03:37 -0800, "Christopher Flores"
wrote:

I have been trying to diagnose a plumbing noise problem
with no success and would appreciate some more seasoned
advice.

When I open the upstairs bathroom sink cold water faucet
just a little I get a strong loud vibrating sound. It goes away
as I increase the water flow.

No problem with the hot water faucet or downstairs faucets
(hot and cold). I first thought it a hammer problem but that
supposedly only happens on closing faucets and anyway I
did bleed the system to all air back into the air chambers.
But this ghoulish noise persists.

Pointers much appreciated. Thanks.

Christopher
Oakland, CA

Could be a loose disk. The cold water faucet could have a disk
floating around and vibrating as it throttles more, and vibrates less
as it throttles less.

This would lead me towards repair/replace the disk.

Just a guess... Not your plumber.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Charles Schuler December 27th 06 09:50 PM

Plumbing Noise

"Christopher Flores" wrote in message
et...
I have been trying to diagnose a plumbing noise problem
with no success and would appreciate some more seasoned
advice.

When I open the upstairs bathroom sink cold water faucet
just a little I get a strong loud vibrating sound. It goes away
as I increase the water flow.

No problem with the hot water faucet or downstairs faucets
(hot and cold). I first thought it a hammer problem but that
supposedly only happens on closing faucets and anyway I
did bleed the system to all air back into the air chambers.
But this ghoulish noise persists.

Google for "seat chatter."