Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cathedral ceiling drywall sag?

We have a home in the Denver, Colorado area that was built about 30
years ago. I'm seeing what appears to be a drywall seam separating on
the cathedral ceiling in our living room. I also see "dimples" above
and below the seam that appear to be drywall nail/screws trying to pull
through. They are along what appears to be a single joist or truss. The
drywall appears to have been installed longways across the joists
(trusses?). I don't see any evidence of water damage and the painted
surface has not broken anywhere yet.

I am not sure how much space exists between the drywall and roof deck,
but I'm guessing it is around 10" to allow for the insulation. Also,
the ceiling pitch appears to be about the same as the roof pitch. The
roof is shingled with wood shakes and there are vents installed about
2/3 of the way up the opposite or back side of the roof--not near the
sagging area.

I'm wondering what kind of contractor I should contact to evaluate the
situation. I don't want to assume it is simply a drywall problem and
just call in the "drywall guy". Nor do I want to assume it is a roof
problem and call in a roofer. I'm guessing a general contractor, but
is there someone else that might be a better "fit"?

Thanks,
Dale

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A forensic architect or engineer should be able to tell you what the
problem is and give a comprehensive solution. The fee should insure
that the work done would be coordinated and directed toward solving the
problem.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

How high is the location? I'd try to at least get up there and see if
it is just a piece of drywall hanging before I got too carried away.
Might simply be one joist/rafter was off by an inch or so and they
missed or nearly missed it originally and time is showing the effect of
a poor connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can reach it with a step ladder. However, I'm not sure how I could
tell if it is just a piece of drywall hanging without starting to tear
into the drywall. Of course, I guess no matter what, I'm going to have
to tear into it at some point, but I'm a bit nervous about doing it
myself.

Dale

Drywall sag Eigenvector Home Repair 22 December 27th 06 01:43 AM
Extending R-value for cathedral ceiling Chris Home Repair 28 December 12th 06 11:02 PM
Retro-insulating a cathedral ceiling from within. finding z0 Home Ownership 5 July 17th 06 05:19 PM
Crown molding on a cathedral ceiling pb Home Repair 9 July 5th 06 01:26 PM
Wet cathedral ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 29th 05 01:16 AM