Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GAS FURNACE?

How do you know if you are being ripped off by Furnace Tech.??
Just ben told my flames had orange cause of Heat Exchange getting bad,
there are some visible orange seams starting.My furance is a Heil just put
in June of 1995.
Could the heat exchanger really be going bad so soon. He said, the flames
were dancing around too much.(Our air supply is vented from the
outside..)
Thanks for any & all in-put..
I am a woman could he be takening me for aride, so to say??
Posted to alt.home.repair

DUMBFOUNDED wrote:
How do you know if you are being ripped off by Furnace Tech.??
Just ben told my flames had orange cause of Heat Exchange getting bad,
there are some visible orange seams starting.My furance is a Heil just put
in June of 1995.

It was not "just put in". It was put in 11+ years ago.

Could the heat exchanger really be going bad so soon. He said, the flames
were dancing around too much.(Our air supply is vented from the
outside..)
Thanks for any & all in-put..
I am a woman could he be takening me for aride, so to say??

Well that depends. How much is he charging you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

DUMBFOUNDED wrote:
How do you know if you are being ripped off by Furnace Tech.??
Just ben told my flames had orange cause of Heat Exchange getting bad,
there are some visible orange seams starting.My furance is a Heil just put
in June of 1995.
Could the heat exchanger really be going bad so soon. He said, the flames
were dancing around too much.(Our air supply is vented from the
outside..)
Thanks for any & all in-put..
I am a woman could he be takening me for aride, so to say??

Call someone with a good reputation to inspect your system. Ask your
neighbors if you do not know of one. DO NOT tell them another tech
diagnosed the bad heat exchanger. A flame dancing while burning COULD
be a cracked heat exchanger, but the cost is high to replace it. Modern
heat techs have optical devices they can insert into the heat exchanger
to inspect for a cracked heat exchanger.

Most furnace makers warranty the heat exchanger for 5 years because
they normally last even longer.

And yes, some HVAC people will take the last dollar from a person on
Social Security without blinking an eye. Sorry to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:29:08 -0600, "DUMBFOUNDED"
wrote:

How do you know if you are being ripped off by Furnace Tech.??
Just ben told my flames had orange cause of Heat Exchange getting bad,
there are some visible orange seams starting.My furance is a Heil just put
in June of 1995.
Could the heat exchanger really be going bad so soon. He said, the flames
were dancing around too much.(Our air supply is vented from the
outside..)
Thanks for any & all in-put..
I am a woman could he be takening me for aride, so to say??

Lemme see ... 11 yr-old Heil ...

You don't happen to be living on the North Pole, do ya?
Not Santy Claus wife?? :-)

You called the wrong tech. He shoulda been able to do
at least a visual inspection of the HE (using little
mirrors).

If he failed to properly clean the burners etc, that
could cause some degree of orange flame.

If you wanna be certain re HE, I guess you need a
reliable conny-tractor. Ask neighbors and/or check
BBB. Then request inspection (giving no add'l info).

Luck,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

My previous Heil gas furnace was replaced after 21 years with no heat
exchanger issues of any type of its' life time. I replaced it mostly because
I spend time away during the winter and did not want to think about furnace
issues. The furnace was running like brand new when it was removed and only
required a couple repairs in 21 years. Needless to say I bought another
Heil.

I seriously doubt you have a bad heat exchanger but anything is possible,

Smarty

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank You for your timely in-put...Greatly appreciated!

Dumbfounded

Gas Furnace? DUMBFOUNDED Home Repair 4 December 9th 06 06:03 PM
Gas Furnace Al Davis Home Ownership 5 March 30th 05 03:25 AM
Gas furnace question DS Home Repair 2 March 8th 05 02:44 AM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM