Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default How to install a new drain in shower stall?

I'm ready to install the new 1-piece shower stall into the framed-in location
in an existing bathroom. The ABS piping, including p-trap, is installed with
the exception of the vertical pipe between the p-trap and the drain.

I'm having cart-before-the-horse confusion, at this step.

The drain is, basically, a 2-piece assembly, with the drain to be installed
from the top side of the shower stall floor and a large washer and nut to go
on from underneath the stall floor to hold the drain assembly in place.

Option #1:
If I attach the drain assembly to the shower stall prior to putting the stall
in place, this means that the ABS drain pipe needs to be installed prior to
this, and aligned perfectly. In my mind I see a vertical pipe coming up from
the p-Trap onto which I'll have to precisely aim the drain hole, while
manhandling the very cumbersome shower stall, all the while trying to mate
the pipe and drain and not snap off the pipe or mangle the seal on the inside
of the drain assembly.

Option #2:
I could place the drain's washer and nut underneath before installing the
shower stall. Then after the stall is in place, I could install the drain
assembly from above and try to attach the washer and nut from below. This is
not an optimal scenario due to the limited access to the nut (basically, just
fingertip room in there).

Option #3:
Install complete drain assembly onto the shower stall floor. Cut to length
the ABS drain pipe between the drain and the p-trap. Install the shower stall
with drain in place, and with the ABS pipe loosely attached to the bottom of
the drain (it's a rubber seal connection, not a glue-type). Then, from below,
glue the pipe into the p-trap. There's limited room for this, but slightly
better access than there is to the nut (option #2, above).

Which way would you attach the drain? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

There is a drain fitting made for this application. The final connection is
made from the top. You bolt the main fitting to the shower base and set the
shower in place. Your vertical drain pipe can be in place, or it can be
measured and glued in place though the top. Then a rubber gasket and tapered
cone get tapped into place from above, making the final connection. They are
available at any Home Depot.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

DT said:

There is a drain fitting made for this application. The final connection is
made from the top. You bolt the main fitting to the shower base and set the
shower in place. Your vertical drain pipe can be in place, or it can be
measured and glued in place though the top. Then a rubber gasket and tapered
cone get tapped into place from above, making the final connection. They are
available at any Home Depot.

Thanks, Dennis. I'll check it out.

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
news.net...
DT said:

There is a drain fitting made for this application. The final connection

is
made from the top. You bolt the main fitting to the shower base and set

the
shower in place. Your vertical drain pipe can be in place, or it can be
measured and glued in place though the top. Then a rubber gasket and

tapered
cone get tapped into place from above, making the final connection. They

are
available at any Home Depot.

Thanks, Dennis. I'll check it out.

In the UK we call them a "top access trap"

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Oatey makes one that is all brass. You install the assembly onto the shower
base and install the shower. You next glue the pipe from the p-trap to the
drain; there is sufficient room in the drain such that you can pass through a
messy glue-prep'd pipe without problem. Once the pipe joint has set you
install a rubber seal around the top of the pipe, in the drain. On top of
this goes a large brass nut which, when screwed down, expands the seal,
making it water-tight.

Thanks for the pointers. This is what I was looking for.

Enjoy,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address