Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace kit-valve & regulator NG for gas range

Hi all, we have a Kenmore Gas Range (3 years old, model#: 73221) and
for some reason the oven knob seems to be wiggling kit-valve &
regulator NG part (part number: WB19K10002) seems to be wiggling (not
the "knob" that is wiggling, the part connecting to the knob is
wiggling). I'm not sure whether we need to replace this part or not.
Here are my questions:

1. Is this part (kit-valve & regular ng) by default wiggling in
nature?? Or something is wrong with it? Is there any way we could test
whether this part is dead or not? Is this the part that usually go bad
in a typical gas range??

2. Is it possible that JUST the knob that need to be replaced?? Right
now as the regulator is wiggling so it is difficult for us to put the
knob back in place, so I don't know if the regulator is actually still
in good shape or not. Any suggestion or comments?

I really don't want to just dump this gas range for a new one, as it is
only 3-years-old. But a regulator part would cost $80 +s/h (see:
http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...aspx?Id=689510) plus
labor around $80 - $100, it would cost us around $180 or more to repair
it (if it is the regulator that need to be repaired), while a new gas
range currently is on sale on homedepot.com for US$299. The thing is
all four burners are working great, it's just the oven that is not
working. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

i would take the old unit to curbside and put a sign on it "free! stove
top works ok, oven broke" and let someone else [who really wants or
needs this] take it and fix it. measure the space and clearances.
replace the old gas shutoff and old gas flexy, and measure replace the
unit. do this now before christmas turkey time. don't put a bow and
ribbon on it, this basic item not eligible for gift giving!
make sure this new stove can be operated in a power blackout.

T. T. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

We did this last time with the dryer, but no one want the trouble to
pick it up here in my neighborhood so I don't really want to do this
again..

Another thing is to unhook the gas range itself is a bit challenging to
me, as it is NOT as easy as remove a electric range... by the way,
generally speaking, are most of the kit-valve & regulator in a gas
range that easy to break these days?? Just curious...

The four burners are working perfectly, just the oven. Any suggestion
about how to further test it (if I could find the way to "lift-up" the
cooktop of this gas range)...