DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184820-gfci-outlet-good-replacement-two-prong-non-grounded-outlet.html)

[email protected] December 4th 06 05:26 PM

is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ??

Hi,

I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are
grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire
the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing
all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such
a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

[email protected] December 4th 06 05:38 PM

wrote:
Hi,

I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are
grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire
the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing
all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such
a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Yes, a GFCI will work and offer protection without a ground. You
don't need to replace all the outlets. Any outlets that are fed
downstream from the one with the GFCI are also protected.

Charles Schuler December 4th 06 10:06 PM

is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ??

wrote in message
ps.com...

Hi,

I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are
grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire
the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing
all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such
a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?

GFCIs are subject to nuisance tripping. No way in heck that you want them
on refrigerators and stuff like that.

alaric December 5th 06 04:01 PM

is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ??

Thanks to all who responded.

On Dec 4, 4:06 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
wrote in glegroups.com...

Hi,

I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are
grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire
the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing
all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such
a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?GFCIs are subject to nuisance tripping. No way in heck that you want them

on refrigerators and stuff like that.