Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Visqueening under carpet

I have a cabin with a single layer of berber carpet, no padding. I believe
that if I pull up the carpet and put better carpet with padding, that I
could stop some air infiltration from under the cabin. I definitely could
uncover some spaces that need to be caulked.

But, I was considering if I should put down some thick visqueen directly
over the tongue and groove flooring, and stick it with double face tape,
THEN put the padding and carpet. Would the visqueen create a place for
condensation? Would this be advisable, or would the padding serve the same
purpose and allow the wood to breathe a little so as to avoid mold?

What would you do? I know I can't make it air tight, but right now, I have
a lot of sealing to do, and I figured I'd start with the big stuff.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I would prefer it under the floor than on it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

In order to do that, I would have to get on my back in the crawl space, pull
off 1,000 square feet of chicken wire, pull out insulation from between
floor joists, and cut each strip of visqueen to fit between the joists, as
well as cut around electrical and plumbing. Then I would have to seal it
all.

It sounds doable, just not logical.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Well... where IS your cabin? Any kind of vapour barrier goes to the warm
side. So in Canada it goes between the drywall and studs. In warm places
where air conditioners run much of the time the barrier goes between the
outside sheathing and studs.

So it should go between the floor joists and floorboards OR overtop of your
chicken wire (kinda removing the need for the wire to start with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry you misunderstood. This structure is built. I do not want to pull
out everything to put in visqueen. Thusly, I was asking on the viability of
placing it on top of the floorboards.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

In order to do that, I would have to get on my back in the crawl
space, pull off 1,000 square feet of chicken wire, pull out
insulation from between floor joists, and cut each strip of visqueen
to fit between the joists, as well as cut around electrical and
plumbing. Then I would have to seal it all.

As I said, that is the way I would like to see it done. I did not say
that is the way I would do it. :-)