Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dimensions of a dual switch/outlet faceplate

I am in the Philippines, and redoing our kitchen. I am using all USA
made electrical supplies.

I need to install a combination switch/outlet and do not have the
faceplate with me.
http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?fil...outlet_pix.jpg

If I place 2 "handy boxes" together, will a switch/outlet faceplate
fit when I get one. I do not have with me a double outlet box either.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5094662...y_Box.summ.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It would work if you could get them secured together. The double thickness
wall where they meet will tend to keep the two devices farther apart then
they should be, but there is enough adjustment to make it work. It would be
a lot easier to just get a two gang box

"Lloyd" wrote in message
I am in the Philippines, and redoing our kitchen. I am using all USA
made electrical supplies.

I need to install a combination switch/outlet and do not have the
faceplate with me.
http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?fil...outlet_pix.jpg

If I place 2 "handy boxes" together, will a switch/outlet faceplate
fit when I get one. I do not have with me a double outlet box either.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5094662...y_Box.summ.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:06:18 +0800, Lloyd
wrote:

I am in the Philippines, and redoing our kitchen. I am using all USA
made electrical supplies.

I need to install a combination switch/outlet and do not have the
faceplate with me.
http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?fil...outlet_pix.jpg

If I place 2 "handy boxes" together, will a switch/outlet faceplate
fit when I get one. I do not have with me a double outlet box either.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5094662...y_Box.summ.jpg

There are, or at least there used to be, metal boxes whose sides come
off. If you wanted to join two together, you could take one side off
of each and then they could be joined and be the right width. (If you
wanted to join 3 together, you'd take both sides off the one in the
middle.)

But the one you have in the picture is not like that. And I am not
sure they still sell them. (Plastic boxes are legal in Maryland, and
they have them in two and three width sizes. If I lived where only
metal was legal, they probably would sell what I described.) If you
are buying your parts locally, I'm sure your hardware store or
electrical supplier can find you something that is two-gang, the right
width for your plans.

If you are buying by mail or internet, you're right to be careful and
plan carefully.

Thanks for any input.