Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flooring choices for sunroom

I have a concrete floored sunroom on the back of my house that needs
some sort of strong flooring that doesn't get slippery when wet and has
decent resistance to stuff like dirt and mud.

Tile gets slippery and it's expensive, vinyl seems to be a better
choice but it doesn't really seem like an indoor/outdoor kinda product.

There's some lousy astroturf out there now, and it's horrible. We
don't want to go with that ugly stuff again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Another reason not to put vinyl in a sunroom is that the heat is likely to
make the vinyl emit gasses for ever. When we fixed up a townhome for my
elderly parents, we removed vinyl from the sunroom. The stench from under
the vinyl was incredible. Previous owners were breathing that smell of
vinyl for 10 years. We replaced it with Mannington laminate which has water
resistant edges. Been 3 plus years and it looks brand new but I find it
slightly slippery with acrylic socks on. Not slippery at all with bare feet
or shoes. Might be more expensive than you are looking for. If the
concrete is dry and decent, you could paint it with epoxy paint and then use
a throw rug in the middle. Put sand in the epoxy or it might be too
slippery. Follow instructions on the cans exactly. Use the real 2 part
epoxy.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a concrete floored sunroom on the back of my house that needs
some sort of strong flooring that doesn't get slippery when wet and has
decent resistance to stuff like dirt and mud.

Tile gets slippery and it's expensive, vinyl seems to be a better
choice but it doesn't really seem like an indoor/outdoor kinda product.

There's some lousy astroturf out there now, and it's horrible. We
don't want to go with that ugly stuff again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Nov 2006 12:25:50 -0800, wrote:

I have a concrete floored sunroom on the back of my house that needs
some sort of strong flooring that doesn't get slippery when wet and has
decent resistance to stuff like dirt and mud.

Tile gets slippery and it's expensive, vinyl seems to be a better
choice but it doesn't really seem like an indoor/outdoor kinda product.

There's some lousy astroturf out there now, and it's horrible. We
don't want to go with that ugly stuff again.

You might try this epoxy finish:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=56&SBL=1

The chips make it look nicer than straight floor paint and also help
prevent slipping. We sell it at our True Value hardware store out on the
tundra in western Alaska. You should be able to find it at places that sell
Rust Oleum products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a concrete floored sunroom on the back of my house that needs
some sort of strong flooring that doesn't get slippery when wet and has
decent resistance to stuff like dirt and mud.

Tile gets slippery and it's expensive, vinyl seems to be a better
choice but it doesn't really seem like an indoor/outdoor kinda product.

There's some lousy astroturf out there now, and it's horrible. We
don't want to go with that ugly stuff again.

you can try the epoxy stuff that is made for garage floors and has flakes
for *decoration* or if the sun room doesn't leak and is weather proof, you
can look into a decent commercial grade carpet. are you worried about it
getting wet from coming in from the pool or something like that or something
else like wet feet on a rainy day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good advice folks. Thanks for talking me out of vinyl, I was starting
to consider vinyl sticky tiles as they're so cheap and they look decent
enough.

Paint is also an excellent suggestion, didn't even think about that!
Tile was the obvious choice, but it never hurts to ask around, ehe?

Thanks again!