Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing carpet from under a drywall!

Hi,

I'm currently removing the carpet from my living room in order to
replace it with hardwood. I just realized that one of the walls in my
living room is a drywall that seems to have been built on top of the
carpet. So there are no tack strips across that wall and I'm just
having to cut the carpet as close to the wall as possible. Secondly,
the one tackstrip on the wall perpendicular to this drywall goes under
this drywall to the next room. So I guess I'm going to have to cut the
tack strip in the middle?

I'm a little worried about the little bit of carpet that's still stuck
to the wall. Not sure how to get a nice clean cut. Any advice will be
really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Seema

Posted to alt.home.repair

seemapai wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently removing the carpet from my living room in order to
replace it with hardwood. I just realized that one of the walls in my
living room is a drywall that seems to have been built on top of the
carpet. So there are no tack strips across that wall and I'm just
having to cut the carpet as close to the wall as possible. Secondly,
the one tackstrip on the wall perpendicular to this drywall goes under
this drywall to the next room. So I guess I'm going to have to cut the
tack strip in the middle?

I'm a little worried about the little bit of carpet that's still stuck
to the wall. Not sure how to get a nice clean cut. Any advice will be
really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Seema

I would remove the skirting board and cut the carpet with a razor knife
or carpet cutter if you can borrow one . That gives you some extra room
to hide the cut edge if its a little ragged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

seemapai wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently removing the carpet from my living room in order to
replace it with hardwood. I just realized that one of the walls in my
living room is a drywall that seems to have been built on top of the
carpet. So there are no tack strips across that wall and I'm just
having to cut the carpet as close to the wall as possible. Secondly,
the one tackstrip on the wall perpendicular to this drywall goes under
this drywall to the next room. So I guess I'm going to have to cut the
tack strip in the middle?

I'm a little worried about the little bit of carpet that's still stuck
to the wall. Not sure how to get a nice clean cut. Any advice will be
really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Seema

You worry too much. Just cut the carpet with a utility knife. You can
use the same knife to cut the tack strip. The hardwood and trip work will
hide any gap.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit