DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Marble advice needed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183366-marble-advice-needed.html)

[email protected] November 21st 06 02:21 AM

Marble advice needed

Hi everyone,

I am renovating a bathroom in the cellar of my home and I have my heart
set on imperador marble tile. I am having a bit of trouble finding out
exactly how much would be charged to lay the tile. I know that the cost
of the tile alone is about 11 dollars per square foot. What I want to
know is if the installation could possibly cost more than the tile
itself.. It is a cement floor and all of the drywall and rockboard will
be brand new (if that makes a difference). I know each situation is
different, but I'm just curious if anyone has some basic prices they
might have paid in the past:)

Sincerely, Anthony

RicodJour November 21st 06 03:10 AM

Marble advice needed

wrote:

I am renovating a bathroom in the cellar of my home and I have my heart
set on imperador marble tile. I am having a bit of trouble finding out
exactly how much would be charged to lay the tile. I know that the cost
of the tile alone is about 11 dollars per square foot. What I want to
know is if the installation could possibly cost more than the tile
itself.. It is a cement floor and all of the drywall and rockboard will
be brand new (if that makes a difference). I know each situation is
different, but I'm just curious if anyone has some basic prices they
might have paid in the past:)

Prices vary widely based on location, available labor pool and the
individual contractor's methods and pricing structure. The only way to
get a number that will have any meaning, and that will let you proceed
with your planning with a number that has any reliability, is to pick
up the phone and call some contractors. Tell them that you're in the
planning stages and you want to make sure that the area is prepared the
way they need it. If you get conflicting information, post back here
and we'll straighten it out.

Richard J Kinch November 21st 06 03:47 AM

Marble advice needed

What I want to
know is if the installation could possibly cost more than the tile
itself

Absolutely, if done right. You're talking about a small area, essentially
all edges, lots of cutting and fitting, laborious techniques to minimize
lippage. All told, it's hard to finish more than a square foot or two per
hour on average. Now if you want fat grout joints, and lots of lippage,
then any clown could do it fast and cheap.