DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing a 4'x4' section of hardwood flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183333-removing-4x4-section-hardwood-flooring.html)

[email protected] November 20th 06 08:48 PM

Removing a 4'x4' section of hardwood flooring

I plan to remove a 4'x4' section of 1.75" x .75" inch hardwood flooring
from a corner of a bedroom in order to make a bathroom larger. I was
planning on just using my circular saw set at .75 inch depth and
replacing the blade when I hit a nail.

I've never hit a nail with a circular saw before, and I'm not sure if
this will ruin my $30 walmart saw. Is there a better tool to do this
job with? I don't want to cut the subfloor or I'd just use a sawzall.

Eric in North TX November 20th 06 08:55 PM

Removing a 4'x4' section of hardwood flooring

If you have a good hardened tip blade it will saw a few nails before it
is trashed. I won't like it, but it will do it. I can't see any
permanent damage to the saw, just noise, maybe smoke from the blade,
but usually it is over before you realize it. I would definitely use a
guide, even just a 2 x 4 trim screwed down or someone standing on it.
I'm not steady enough to make a long straight cut freehand.

Robert Allison November 20th 06 08:57 PM

wrote:
I plan to remove a 4'x4' section of 1.75" x .75" inch hardwood flooring
from a corner of a bedroom in order to make a bathroom larger. I was
planning on just using my circular saw set at .75 inch depth and
replacing the blade when I hit a nail.

I've never hit a nail with a circular saw before, and I'm not sure if
this will ruin my $30 walmart saw. Is there a better tool to do this
job with? I don't want to cut the subfloor or I'd just use a sawzall.

That is probably the best way to remove it. If you hit a
nail, you will see sparks. Other than that, you won't really
notice anything except that the blade will suddenly be very
dull. It won't ruin the saw.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

[email protected] November 20th 06 09:06 PM

Removing a 4'x4' section of hardwood flooring

You guys are Great! thanks.
Also, a good tip about nailing down a temporary guide of a 2x4.

Thanks again gents.