Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Countertops - How do I make slurry?

I am having a hard time figuring out how to make slurry. I've poured
countertops in pre-set forms, and I've got little air holes on the
edges. I need to fill them in with slurry, but I don't know how to
make slurry.

I know it is portland and water. Very fine sand can be used, but I've
heard I should use acrylic, plasticizers, or something else.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am having a hard time figuring out how to make slurry. I've poured
countertops in pre-set forms, and I've got little air holes on the
edges. I need to fill them in with slurry, but I don't know how to
make slurry.

I know it is portland and water. Very fine sand can be used, but I've
heard I should use acrylic, plasticizers, or something else.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks.

filling holes in concrete ?

I use a paste about the consistancy of heavy cream ,mix portland
cement and water.

Mix well, and repeat mixing as required. This stuff dries out fairly
quickly , just add a little more water and mix again. 24 hours to set

Make sure the area to be patched is very wet, dry concrete will absorb
too much water out of the paste.

Apply the paste , use a scap cloth to apply it to protect your fingers.

When dry it can be lightly sanded before it cures completely .

There are additives to help it adhere , and to make the patch material
more moldable but for surface defects you shouldnt need them much .

Note : the patches will be a different color from the other cement.
They also absorb stain differently, so you really need an opaque finish.

forgot to mention , there is a concrete patch available premixed in a
squeeze tube if you dont have cement on hand.

you can also add a little very fine sand if you need a thick layer of
patch , the cement and water tends to crack if applied in a thick layer
..