Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somebody please check this dryer vent is ok....

I'm about to move a gas-fired clothers dryer vent through the wall of
my basement (it was blocked off due to a deck the previous owner
installed). Just want to make sure this is safe:

Down from dryer in flexi metal 4" pipe. Along a series of 2' long
galvanized sheet metal ducts held together with screws that stick
through to the inside of the pipe (catching lint?), through a 90 and
then out through the wall and a plastic louvred vent under a wooden
deck. Ducting to be strapped directly touching the floor joists with
metal strapping nailed to joists.

Ok?

Thanks for any tips if this is dangerous.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forgot to add: Will seal any loose vent joints with metal tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message

Down from dryer in flexi metal 4" pipe. Along a series of 2' long
galvanized sheet metal ducts held together with screws that stick
through to the inside of the pipe (catching lint?), through a 90 and
then out through the wall and a plastic louvred vent under a wooden
deck. Ducting to be strapped directly touching the floor joists with
metal strapping nailed to joists.

Ok?

No, not OK, but close.

Dryer vents should not have sheet metal screws for the reason you mention..
Fit the galvanized together and tape them and you should be OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No, not OK, but close.

Dryer vents should not have sheet metal screws for the reason you mention..
Fit the galvanized together and tape them and you should be OK.

Yep, my mate just told me that too. Thanks for the reply.

-D

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No, not OK, but close.

Dryer vents should not have sheet metal screws for the reason you
mention..
Fit the galvanized together and tape them and you should be OK.

Yep, my mate just told me that too. Thanks for the reply.

And use DUCT tape and NOT DUCK tape. You want the aluminum foil tape and not
the grey cloth tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"...through a 90 and then out through the wall and a plastic louvred
vent under a wooden deck."

HMM If I understand this correctly the vent is below the deck - if so
the deck may stay moist on the bottom creating a home for mold and
fungus to live.

deck ___________I
wall
vent [ I

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for any tips if this is dangerous.

Dean

There are around 15,000 residential fires related to dryers each year,
and around 400 cases of carbon monoxide induced injury or death
related to defective dryer exhausts, so incorrect installations of
these needs to be taken seriously.

1) The posters above are correct, no screws.

2) Male end of each section of pipe toward runs FROM dryer INTO next
section toward exterior.

3) Check dryer' manufacturer's instructions for maximum run exhaust,
which is reduced by each elbow .

4) Dryer exhaust below a deck can shorten life of wood decking, it can
also GREATLY accelerate rusting of joist hangers and lag or other bolts
connecting the deck to the main structure, leading to structural
failure. If you MUST exhaust at this point, use SS hangers and
fasteners.

5) Clean the duct, regularly GOGGLE for "dryer exhaust brush"

Posted to alt.home.repair

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC wrote:

There are around 15,000 residential fires related to dryers each year,
and around 400 cases of carbon monoxide induced injury or death
related to defective dryer exhausts, so incorrect installations of
these needs to be taken seriously.

1) The posters above are correct, no screws.

2) Male end of each section of pipe toward runs FROM dryer INTO next
section toward exterior.

3) Check dryer' manufacturer's instructions for maximum run exhaust,
which is reduced by each elbow .

4) Dryer exhaust below a deck can shorten life of wood decking, it can
also GREATLY accelerate rusting of joist hangers and lag or other bolts
connecting the deck to the main structure, leading to structural
failure. If you MUST exhaust at this point, use SS hangers and
fasteners.

5) Clean the duct, regularly GOGGLE for "dryer exhaust brush"

Ok thank you all for the replies. The installation is finished and it
runs well. The deck is very well ventilated on 3 sides, although it
does have the hot water heater, vacuum and sump pump all spewing out
there too!

Tell me, the vent gets too hot to touch (I can hold onto it for 3
seconds before I have to let go). Is this typical? Its only a few
inches down from a wooden floor.

-Dean

Inline Dryer Vent Jibber Home Repair 5 December 16th 05 08:54 PM
Dryer vent flange [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 7th 05 12:50 PM
Dryer vent routing across basement ceiling dean Home Repair 14 November 2nd 05 07:06 PM
Indoor dryer vent "heaters"? Nate C. Home Repair 52 April 6th 05 10:19 PM
Help with dryer vent on glass block window Jordan Powell Home Repair 7 February 27th 04 02:56 AM