Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Cabinet Refacing

Preliminary estimates indicate savings are only 30% to 50% over
completely replacing with new cabinets.
Has anyone tried to reface ?
Comments please ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "syswizard" wrote:
Preliminary estimates indicate savings are only 30% to 50% over
completely replacing with new cabinets.
Has anyone tried to reface ?
Comments please ?

I considered it. I too found the estimates came in pretty high.
To be fair, those contractors proposed replacing the drawers
(not just the drawer fronts), drawer glides, hinges as well as
the doors and some moldings.

I figured I could reface myself at a significantly lower
cost, reusing some of the drawers, hinges etc. But I wasn't
sufficiently confident in my ability to do a really good job
on the frames. If you think you can handle that, DIY refacing
might be a very cost effective option.

Eventually, I refinished. So the whole job only cost $100
or so. However, it was *very* labor intensive and it will
be a while before I want to touch a sheet of sandpaper again!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

don't waste time if these are modern cabinets. antique cabinets with
beautiful interior woodwork should be refinished of course.
look inside the cabinets for your new drawer and shelf layouts and
allow for dishwasher, note electrical outlets, add disposer, as
desired.
oh, and new deep sink with tall fixture to wash the baby and the puppy
and a turkey and deep pots. and new countertop.
and new lighting to show off the old paint job, oops, you forgot to
paint the ceiling first.
now the cabinets are ripped out, is there any wall insulation there?
and do we add the new gfi outlets for the countertop appliances?
what about a low-sone exhaust hood/vent.
the old stove sure looks rundown next to the beautiful new counter.
was that new window supposed to be over the sink, or was the kitchen
going to have a wall opened with a sitdown counter overlooking the
tv/family room.
isn't the new deck supposed to exit out the nearby wall? is the work
triangle small enough and efficient enough to service the outdoor grill
and picnic table?
since we are redoing that wall, can we add a natural gas line for the
new gas grill and some plumbing for the outdoor summer sink...

syswizard wrote:
Preliminary estimates indicate savings are only 30% to 50% over
completely replacing with new cabinets.
Has anyone tried to reface ?
Comments please ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Nov 2006 19:30:06 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

[...]

You've been talking to my wife...
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Well, what's 50% of how much? I bought some good tools with the
remainder from my refacing... Tom