Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! Wood floor refinishing nightmare.

Call the company that made the poly, try to remove it before it fully
cures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

We just had some wood floors refinished upstairs. The job came out ok
but we had a big problem where the water based polyurethane that they
used seeped through the floor and came down into our basement. It got
all over this computer desk and spattered over the monitor and a couple
of printers. Nothing is ruined to the point of not being functional,
but the desk looks like crap and so do the printers.

Nothing I have tried takes this stuff off. I am guessing that anything
that could take it off would also take the finish of the desk off. The
desk is a finished piece of white pine we got from IKEA.

Is there any way to get this stuff off of the desk or the plastic
printers?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try a very mild paint remover, like citristrip, on a sample
area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We just had some wood floors refinished upstairs. The job came out ok
but we had a big problem where the water based polyurethane that they
used seeped through the floor and came down into our basement. It got
all over this computer desk and spattered over the monitor and a couple
of printers. Nothing is ruined to the point of not being functional,
but the desk looks like crap and so do the printers.

Nothing I have tried takes this stuff off. I am guessing that anything
that could take it off would also take the finish of the desk off. The
desk is a finished piece of white pine we got from IKEA.

Is there any way to get this stuff off of the desk or the plastic
printers?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

For the plastic surfaces, you might try VERY carefully slipping a razor
blade under the polyurethane spots. In a perfect world, they might come off
in chips.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

More proof that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Considering that
it had to go thru cracks between panels in the floor and thru the subfloor,
this is amazing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We just had some wood floors refinished upstairs. The job came out ok
but we had a big problem where the water based polyurethane that they
used seeped through the floor and came down into our basement. It got
all over this computer desk and spattered over the monitor and a couple
of printers. Nothing is ruined to the point of not being functional,
but the desk looks like crap and so do the printers.

Nothing I have tried takes this stuff off. I am guessing that anything
that could take it off would also take the finish of the desk off. The
desk is a finished piece of white pine we got from IKEA.

Is there any way to get this stuff off of the desk or the plastic
printers?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
.net...
More proof that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Considering
that it had to go thru cracks between panels in the floor and thru the
subfloor, this is amazing.

Sounds like they applied it with a fire hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's possible the wood floors ARE the subfloor...mine are.

Jo Ann

Art wrote:
More proof that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Considering that
it had to go thru cracks between panels in the floor and thru the subfloor,
this is amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Oct 2006 04:34:17 -0800, "
wrote:

Is there any way to get this stuff off of the desk or the plastic
printers?

Water soluble
-
1. Try alcohol.

2. Try the waterless hand cleaner used for removing grease, used by
gargage mechanics. Its a paste with pumice. I find that an excellent
product for cleaning many things and it leaves a smooth surface too.
Its great for cleaning the "cultured marble" bathroom countertops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Wet sand with 600 or finer. Buff out by hand with Mother's or
Meguire's.
That doesn't work, spray paint the plastic for a unique look.

For the desk, scrape with a razor and rub with 0000 wool, then either
of
the auto compounds to bring up the gloss if lacquer. Watco will fix
damaged oil finishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 8:55 am, wrote:
I would try a very mild paint remover, like citristrip, on a sample
area.

Thanks for the tip!

Citristrip does the job! It took off the poly but left the finish on
the desk in tact. I only let it sit 5 minutes.

YeeHa!

Steve