Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Dryer 2nd Opion requested

I have a Kenmore Dryer that is not drying the clothes like it should.
The filter is cleaned as well as the exhaust vent/duct. However it is
taking longer and longer to dry the clothes. Tonight there was a
noticeable decrease in the temperature of the clothes while drying ( I
stopped the cycle to check on it.) I put a thermometer in the exhaust
stream and it only got up to around 99F.
I tried the other settings and they were even cooler. So my thought
is that it is the heating element. That would seem to be the simplest
answer. However, I was wondering if I could somehow rule out the
timer that turns the heating element on and off as being the problem.

Just wondering. To anyone generous enough to freely offer
constructive advice, I thank you. I am also looking up this problem
on the web just incase it is not the heating element. In addition,
I'm looking for info on changing the piece out. So I'm not just
begging for help, I'm also searching.

FYI - The dryer is Electric and 14 years old. I bought if from Sears
and the salesman assured me I could get 20 years of usage out of it
easily. But I'm not complaining. I have gotten my money's worth from
it. If I can cheaply fix it, that is great, if not....well, that is
life.

BM
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I doubt it is the thermostat. They usually just go one day and you would
get no heat at all. Also I don't think your test of temperature was
accurate. I was just testing out my new gas kenmore the other day and I
used a digital thermometer to check the temperature at the exhaust while it
was running and the temperature goes up and down. The high point is
determined by the setting the dryer was on. In other words, while running
the dryer is not at a consistent temperature so if you turned it off to
check the temperature there is no way to be sure you were at the point of
peak temperature which it reaches and goes below every few minutes.

There could be lint stuck inside. Have you checked to see how well it is
blowing at the exhaust? If there is plenty of air coming out then it must
be the thermostat or something electronic controlling the thermostat. If
you are using an automatic cycle try a timed cycled and see if that works
right.

"Bret Miller" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Like a light bulb, an element is just a wire, and it is either intact
or it isn't. I don't think the element itself is your problem.

I am going to base my ideas here on your dryer being a Kenmore with the
lint screen up on the top. These dryers have very good airflow traits,
and the design is one of the best on the market. You need to eliminate
certain problems. Check for airflow outside your house, at the
termination of the exhaust. Disconnect the dryer from the venting, and
check for good airflow out the back of the dryer. The velocity should
be somewhat the same as what was coming outside your house. Look
inside the drum and make sure that the light lens (if there is a light)
is not missing. Unplug the dryer and check for corrosion on the prongs
of the power cord. Remove the little access panel on the back and
check for discoloration or melting of the wires at the terminal block.
Now, remove the whole rear panel, and plug the dryer back in. Turn on
the dryer and look for the element to glow red when it is on. When the
element turns off, and using a multimeter set to volts, check that you
have a voltage drop (ie: a reading of...).across the operating
thermostat (on the blower housing) of approx. 240v, as this should be
the component that is turning the element on and off. If there is 240v
across the operating stat when the element is off, and it is still
running around 90 degrees, change the stat. If the elements turns off
and there is no voltage reading of 240 at the stat, then you have a
more exotic problem, and I would need some more information to be of
help.