DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rain Gutter for Gazebo? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180983-rain-gutter-gazebo.html)

[email protected] October 30th 06 09:20 PM

Rain Gutter for Gazebo?

I built a 8-sided screened gazebo attached to my low deck. It sits on
a yard with a fairly steep slope. When it rains, the water runs off
the roof and is causing erosion and a small gully down the sloping
lawn. I've thought about putting a border of small shrubs/flowers with
mulch around the base to absorb the water or a border with gravel, but
I'm concerned that the mulch or stones will just wash away as well.

I've considered a rain gutter to channel the water down the back side.
But I can't seem to find gutter parts that have 22-degree corners and
something "low profile" that doesn't cover the decorative ends of the
rafters. Standard gutters look too big and seem like overkill for the
need.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!

--Jeff

Goedjn October 30th 06 09:45 PM

Rain Gutter for Gazebo?

On 30 Oct 2006 13:20:31 -0800, wrote:

I built a 8-sided screened gazebo attached to my low deck. It sits on
a yard with a fairly steep slope. When it rains, the water runs off
the roof and is causing erosion and a small gully down the sloping
lawn. I've thought about putting a border of small shrubs/flowers with
mulch around the base to absorb the water or a border with gravel, but
I'm concerned that the mulch or stones will just wash away as well.

I've considered a rain gutter to channel the water down the back side.
But I can't seem to find gutter parts that have 22-degree corners and
something "low profile" that doesn't cover the decorative ends of the
rafters. Standard gutters look too big and seem like overkill for the
need.

Bend 2" EMT into whatever shape you want, and then split it
lengthwise.

[email protected] October 30th 06 10:01 PM

Rain Gutter for Gazebo?

I had a lawn with excess wsater and used semi-perforated plastic
draintile, dug a trench, layed a thin layer of pea gravel in the
bottom, added the draintile and covered. I have used either decorative
rock (1 to 2 inch diameter) or the sod to cover the drain-tile
depending on your preference for appearance. Just route the draintile
to wherever you want the water carried away to.

mike October 30th 06 10:18 PM

Rain Gutter for Gazebo?

wrote:
I built a 8-sided screened gazebo attached to my low deck. It sits on
a yard with a fairly steep slope. When it rains, the water runs off
the roof and is causing erosion and a small gully down the sloping
lawn. I've thought about putting a border of small shrubs/flowers with
mulch around the base to absorb the water or a border with gravel, but
I'm concerned that the mulch or stones will just wash away as well.

I've considered a rain gutter to channel the water down the back side.
But I can't seem to find gutter parts that have 22-degree corners and
something "low profile" that doesn't cover the decorative ends of the
rafters. Standard gutters look too big and seem like overkill for the
need.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!

--Jeff

Along the lines of your second response, there are people who don't
have gutters on certain structures for historical or asthetic
reasons, but what they'll often do is relocate their gutters to the
ground in a sense by digging out a V-shaped trench around their
structure
which is bottom-lined with impermiable plastic and then filled with
perforated drainage line surrounded by gravel, topped off with
geotextile fabric (to keep dirt out) and another layer of gravel. The
drainage line takes the water far away from the foundation.

The pipe leading away can (and should) be solid, not perforated.

Kyle Boatright October 31st 06 01:48 AM

Rain Gutter for Gazebo?

I would go with the rocks/plants option. Unless you have a huge gazebo, the
run-off from any one section shouldn't be very much. Also gutters and
downspouts will look out of place on your gazebo.

ps.com...