DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   double wall switch - working separately, but not with eachother?! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180950-double-wall-switch-working-separately-but-not-eachother.html)

[email protected] October 30th 06 01:21 PM

double wall switch - working separately, but not with eachother?!

Hi Readers,
I need help with an existing double wall switch. These two switches
(on opposite sides of the room) used to control an electric outlet (for
a table lamp). I rewired it to control the new ceiling-mounted light
fixture I installed. I did something wrong: each switch will turn the
light on and off, but I cannot use one switch to turn on the light, and
the other to turn it off. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Any advice appreciated.
Thank you.

RBM October 30th 06 01:30 PM

double wall switch - working separately, but not with eachother?!

You should have run your two wires from the switched outlet to the ceiling
box. If you came off of one of the switches, you probably have to
reconfigure the wiring for the three ways

ps.com...

Doug Miller October 30th 06 01:39 PM

In article om, wrote:
Hi Readers,
I need help with an existing double wall switch. These two switches
(on opposite sides of the room) used to control an electric outlet (for
a table lamp). I rewired it to control the new ceiling-mounted light
fixture I installed. I did something wrong: each switch will turn the
light on and off, but I cannot use one switch to turn on the light, and
the other to turn it off. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Not from your description, but if you can post a diagram somewhere showing
which wires go where, that would certainly help.

--
Regards,

N8N October 30th 06 02:23 PM

wrote:
Hi Readers,
I need help with an existing double wall switch. These two switches
(on opposite sides of the room) used to control an electric outlet (for
a table lamp). I rewired it to control the new ceiling-mounted light
fixture I installed. I did something wrong: each switch will turn the
light on and off, but I cannot use one switch to turn on the light, and
the other to turn it off. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Any advice appreciated.
Thank you.

I'm thinking you're actually describing a pair of three way switches,
google for "3 way switch" or "three way switch" and see if you find a
diagram that answers your question. Sounds like you have your
travelers mixed up with the line and load. (that will make sense when
you find a diagram.)

good luck,

nate

barbarow October 30th 06 03:23 PM

double wall switch - working separately, but not with eachother?!

http://www.lightingfacts.com/Three%20way%20switches.htm

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather