Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automatic Emergency Water Shutoff Device?

I believe it was on this forum, many months ago, that I read
a reference to a device that could be installed in one's
water line so that if a pipe burst when no one was at home
the water would shut off automatically. I assume the
shut-off would be triggered by a sudden heavy and sustained
(5 minutes?) increase in water flow.

What are these called? How do they work? I'd like to do a
little research on the net and locally, but I have no idea
of the proper term.

The only time a pipe burst I was home and able to get the
main water valve shut off very quickly. I may not be so
lucky next time.

Any help appreciated.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

I believe it was on this forum, many months ago, that I read
a reference to a device that could be installed in one's
water line so that if a pipe burst when no one was at home
the water would shut off automatically. I assume the
shut-off would be triggered by a sudden heavy and sustained
(5 minutes?) increase in water flow.

What are these called? How do they work? I'd like to do a
little research on the net and locally, but I have no idea
of the proper term.

The only time a pipe burst I was home and able to get the
main water valve shut off very quickly. I may not be so
lucky next time.

Any help appreciated.

Here's one.
http://www.dynaquip.com/watercop.asp

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ditto the gas!
Ever-preparing for The Grand Insertion
Party Nominee, IPPVM
Independent Party of the Proctologically Violated®© (M)asses
"That's proly not a hemorrhoid you're feeling.... "
all d'numbuhs