Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer leaking water Maytag Model MZD 2766GEW

Intermittant leaks of water onto floor every 2 - 3 daysunder frezer
side of side by side Sudden onset about a week ago. Small puddle. Unit
is a about 3 1/2 years old. Service folks say they can't come out to
look at unit untiil 3 November. *SWMBO*not amused at delay.

Unit is keeing frozen stuff well frozen, and refrigerator side wrking
well in terms of keeping chilled stuff chilled. Plenty of ice from
dispenser, and plenty of cold water from dispenser

Pulled unit out from wall and unplugged. Took out shelves. Took
off lower and back inside panels . Traced incoming water line from back
of unit up to and through entire routing to front water dipenser. No
leak I can find. Traced line to icemaker, again no leak I can find.
If it were a leat in the water line to the icemaker or the chilled water
outlet in the door, I'd expect to see ice forming insde the freezer
unit. There is non/

There is a group of refrigerant coils in the rear under the bottom of
the freezer. The coils have an ice build up on them A good amount of
ice. Ice encases several wires near coils. I'm thinking that probably
isn't the way its designed to operate and that this can't be good. The
owner's manual, which I have, is useless.

I did find a sort of drain under the coil area and it, too, has water
and ice on it. I poured some war tah to melt he ice and gntly cleaned
he darin arae with some tips. Doesn't seem clogged. There is a
perforated metal plate under the drain area, but cant reach iyt with
anything to try to clear ay clogs.

Anybody here got any better ideas of what might be causing he
intermittant puddling and the ice build p on the coils and wires.

I vaguely recall a web site for "Harry Homeowner" appliance repairs but
haven't saved the URL. I am separately doing a Google search fr that
site, but wuld appreciate any pointers to the site.

Please E mail me at jaymclaughlinatyahoodotcom with responses in
addition to posting here\

Thank you in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

SNIPS

I vaguely recall a web site for "Harry Homeowner" appliance repairs but
haven't saved the URL. I am separately doing a Google search fr that
site, but wuld appreciate any pointers to the site.

Please E mail me at jaymclaughlinatyahoodotcom with responses in
addition to posting here\

Thank you in advance.

The two web sites I found with "fix it" ideas are

www.applianceguru.com

and

www.applianceaid.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you want to the GES if it's that gorgeous side by side model.

Go to:

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedMo...6GES&fkMfgID=1

It has schematics and parts. This is another one that needs saving!

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

SNIPS

I vaguely recall a web site for "Harry Homeowner" appliance repairs but
haven't saved the URL. I am separately doing a Google search fr that
site, but wuld appreciate any pointers to the site.

Please E mail me at jaymclaughlinatyahoodotcom with responses in
addition to posting here\

Thank you in advance.

The two web sites I found with "fix it" ideas are

www.applianceguru.com

and

www.applianceaid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

I expect the drain cycle has something to do with it. I expect that is
the drain you are describing. The one for the defrost cycle. It runs
from the bottom of the coils at the back of the freezer out and then
over to a pan under the refrigerator section. You should only see water
in the pan after a defrost cycle.

But the ice build up I can't explain. Is that behind the panel at the
back of the freezer? Ice would build up there until it goes into a
defrost cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich256 wrote:

I expect the drain cycle has something to do with it. I expect that is
the drain you are describing. The one for the defrost cycle. It runs
from the bottom of the coils at the back of the freezer out and then
over to a pan under the refrigerator section. You should only see water
in the pan after a defrost cycle.

But the ice build up I can't explain. Is that behind the panel at the
back of the freezer?

Under panel at bottom f freezer, but effectively in he same kind of area
you describe.

Ice would build up there until it goes into a
defrost cycle.

From what I've been reading elsewhere, I think that there is a defrost
cycle problem and taht something is not defrosting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

I expect the drain cycle has something to do with it. I expect that
is the drain you are describing. The one for the defrost cycle. It
runs from the bottom of the coils at the back of the freezer out and
then over to a pan under the refrigerator section. You should only
see water in the pan after a defrost cycle.

But the ice build up I can't explain. Is that behind the panel at
the back of the freezer?

Under panel at bottom f freezer, but effectively in he same kind of area
you describe.

Ice would build up there until it goes into a
defrost cycle.

From what I've been reading elsewhere, I think that there is a defrost
cycle problem and taht something is not defrosting.

I have a unit just like the one you describe. Probably the same model.
Quite a job to remove that back panel. Looks like you have to remove
the ice maker first. But looking though the holes at the bottom I can
only see the pan that collects the defrosted water and then can see the
hose under the refrig.

Difficult when you don't know where the water is coming from. I had a
defrost problem with another refrigerator. In that case a big block of
ice formed at the bottom of the freezer preventing air flow and it
stopped cooling. I had a problem with a leak in the ice maker. Forget
just what it was but I think a tube was not lined up properly. That of
course would leak only when it was calling for water for the ice maker..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since you have the freezer apart, defrost the catch pan and drain
under the cold coils. Then pull the "kick plate" from the front of the
unit. Need to have both doors wide open to do this.

Look for a plastic pan that is about 6 inches wide, and ru ns from
front to back. Squirt some water into the drain under the cold coils.
The water should end up in the plastic pan. The pan may be already
full of water, or the pan may be cracked.

Look for a plstic hose, which goes from the drain into the pan That
hose should be connected, and should be draining into the pan, not
onto the floor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since you have the freezer apart, defrost the catch pan and drain
under the cold coils. Then pull the "kick plate" from the front of the
unit. Need to have both doors wide open to do this.

Look for a plastic pan that is about 6 inches wide, and ru ns from
front to back. Squirt some water into the drain under the cold coils.
The water should end up in the plastic pan. The pan may be already
full of water, or the pan may be cracked.

Look for a plstic hose, which goes from the drain into the pan That
hose should be connected, and should be draining into the pan, not
onto the floor.

I expect that is where the problem is. Remember a leak in the ice maker
line would happen only when the ice maker is filling with water. The
valve is near the floor on the rear so you need to be in the fill mode
to see any leak beyond that point.