Posted to alt.home.repair
Mel Mel is offline

Default Cordless screwdriver recommendation.

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frankly, I think they are more trouble than they are worth. If you have
one that rests in a cradle between uses, so it's charged up, OK.
Frankly, I like the "six way" screwdrivers that have 4 bits (2 flat, 2
Phillips) and 2 small sockets on them. CHeap enough that you can
saturate the house with them. Black and Decker seems to make a good
one. I had one at one time, and the battery wouldn't hold a charge
after about a year. PITA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mel" wrote in message

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery
screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded
by (variable speed) cordless drills.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
Frankly, I think they are more trouble than they are worth.

I find them indispensable, with the combined Phillip's / straight tip,
it is the first thing I pick up for small jobs. For tear down on
something with lots of screws it can't be beat, I love it for switch
plates and door knobs. I buzzed a refrigerator apart the other day to
get to a top compressor defrost thermostat in less that 15 minutes.
As to brand I like Skill the best because of the rocker switch, but
Black & Decker is ok as well.
Added perks; with the bit out it fits the hex screws in most computer
cases, carburetor repair becomes easier without having to manually
remove a dozen or so long fine thread screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mel" wrote in message
Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

How about a small cordless drill? To use as a screwdriver, you need only a
9.6 or 12 volt and it will be light and have more power than a plain battery
screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Mel,

We use a Bosch rechargable screwdriver. They are $129.00 at Lowes or HD.
They are rated for 100 3" screws per charge. Comes with a spare battery,
light weight, and a little led light turns on to light up the screw you are
driving when you pull the trigger.

I previously owned the Dewalt screwdriver. $99.00 at HD or Lowes. It worked
really well but the first time I dropped it, it broke in half and dropping
is not covered under the warranty.

The Rigid by HD was rated very well in a recent magazine review. It is over
$100

We use this type of tool almost every day, sometimes driving several hundred
screws per day.

Good luck,

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Mel" wrote in message
Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"professorpaul" wrote in
oups.com:

Frankly, I think they are more trouble than they are worth. If you have
one that rests in a cradle between uses, so it's charged up, OK.
Frankly, I like the "six way" screwdrivers that have 4 bits (2 flat, 2
Phillips) and 2 small sockets on them. CHeap enough that you can
saturate the house with them. Black and Decker seems to make a good
one. I had one at one time, and the battery wouldn't hold a charge
after about a year. PITA.

I saw a review in Wood Magazine Nov06 issue about 3 new Lithium-ion powered
cordless screwdrivers,that retain a charge for a year without topping of.
2 were $40,and just simple palm drivers(Skil iXO and B&D Li3000),and the
3rd (Bosch PS-20)was similar to a cordless drill and had interchangable
battery packs,so you have a spare.That one had more torque,was faster,and
could also drill screwholes. It costs as much as a regular cordless
drill/driver,though,$130.

I suspect eventually,the manufacturers will make replacement Li-ion packs
and chargers for their newer NiCd and NiMH drills.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel wrote:

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Hi,
I've been using De Walt one. Never had trouble yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Mel wrote:
Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

I boughtg a Black and Decker and it works great uses those long round
batteries which also fit my B&D Dust Buster and my B&D Emergency
light/flashlights. So I get some use out of them (batteries) and they
seem to last quite some time. Multi use is good for batteries and my
pocket book. I bring the dustbuster with me in the MH along with one of
the emergency light/flashlight when we hit the road.

L e e
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Mel wrote:

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

p.s

Also the batteries can be used in the larger B&D drill so I get plenty
of use out of the batteries and have some to spare. Plus on some they
give you a charger along with the product.

L e e

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Don,

I would say there are more rechargeable screwdrivers on the market today
than back in the eighties. At least now some of them are worth owning/using.

cm

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Mel" wrote in message

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery
screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded
by (variable speed) cordless drills.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used this drill/screwdriver for several years. Probably not for pros
but works like a charm for general household use. Can't beat the price. Most
batteries are more than that.

Walter
www.rationality.net
-
"Mel" wrote in message
Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears has one that is a great value at 29.99, and even less when on
sale. It bends in the middle, has a clutch, and reversable action. It
also has a tiny light that shines at your work. I can't imagine that
an average homowner would need more than this, unless you are into some
more heavy duty stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a battery drill, and a set of screw driver tips. Think Makita.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Mel" wrote in message
Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated
screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery
screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded
by (variable speed) cordless drills.

I find that an apple and oranges statement. I have 2 Dewalt 18v
cordless drills and a couple of old Makitas, and as great as they are,
they are clumsy at what the electric screw driver does best. I wouldn't
be without one. If for some reason I had to choose the drill would win,
but then I'd end up doing the tasks that it does so well with a plain
old screw driver, and my arm would get tired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You bet. Dewalt makes one that is terrific. 7.2 volt with plenty of torque
and a quick change chuck. You don't normmaly find it at the stores but i
got mine from Amazon. 'bout $100.00

"Mel" wrote in message

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery
screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded
by (variable speed) cordless drills.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Craven,

Dont drop your Dewalt 7.2 or it will break in half at the hinge like mine
did.

cm
.. .

"Mel" wrote in message

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver?
Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery
screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded
by (variable speed) cordless drills.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Craven Morehead wrote:
You bet. Dewalt makes one that is terrific. 7.2 volt with plenty of torque
and a quick change chuck. You don't normmaly find it at the stores but i
got mine from Amazon. 'bout $100.00

I got mine at Home Depot for about the same. I gave my old Black & Decker
cordless screwdriver to my father and frankly, I wish I'd hung onto it. While
the Dewalt is much more potent, the B&D was adequate for most jobs and handier
for all of them. The one I had used the versapak 3.6 volt batteries that slid
into the base. It came with two and a charger so there was always at least one
ready to go at all times.

I do the same thing with the Dewalt but it is the clumsier of the two tools. I
don't think B&D makes the one I had any more. Pity.

I've also got a 18 volt Milwaukee hammer drill/driver and a Makita 9.6 volt
drill/driver as well. I don't get them out unless there's a good reason.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com