DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gasoline powered tools? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179914-gasoline-powered-tools.html)

Inquiringmind October 20th 06 10:14 PM

Gasoline powered tools?

OK, this is a silly question but . . . I've only seen electric powered
tools up close. I have been tempted to buy gasoline powered tools but
I have always wondered -- how to do you get and store the gasoline for
them?

[email protected] October 20th 06 10:39 PM

Gasoline powered tools?

Inquiringmind wrote:
OK, this is a silly question but . . . I've only seen electric powered
tools up close. I have been tempted to buy gasoline powered tools but
I have always wondered -- how to do you get and store the gasoline for
them?

you get a little plastic gas can from almost any department store auto
section , or hardware store.

fill it at your local gas station.

If it needs two-stroke then you have to add the right amount of
two-stroke oil to the gas can.

storing it safely might be a problem if you live in an apartment. Mine
is stored in an outside shed with the tools that use it .

Charles Schuler October 20th 06 11:05 PM

Gasoline powered tools?

"Inquiringmind" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, this is a silly question but . . . I've only seen electric powered
tools up close. I have been tempted to buy gasoline powered tools but
I have always wondered -- how to do you get and store the gasoline for
them?

I used to have several gasoline powered tools (when I had a big lot which
included a storage shed separated from my house). Now, I am in the
situation where integral garage storage is all that is available and that's
not a good place for gasoline, propane tanks, and other
accelerants/explosives.

Storage of accelerants/explosives is a serious issue that many have ignored
and have been subsequently toasted. Or, they survived and found that
insurance did not apply due to mal-storage issues!

Lawrence October 21st 06 01:10 AM

Gasoline powered tools?

Inquiringmind wrote:
OK, this is a silly question but . . . I've only seen electric powered
tools up close. I have been tempted to buy gasoline powered tools but
I have always wondered -- how to do you get and store the gasoline for
them?

The thing about the small fuel cans (5 gal or smaller) is that they
always seem to leak a little, which is annoying. You get fuel on your
hands which also sucks. The way they can fly around in the back of the
pickup or car is a bit dicey too. The better hardware stores (Ace)
will stock replacement caps and gaskets so replace them if they leak.
I also use ratcheting load bars to secure mine.

Some folk have a larger tank in a pickup truck with either a 12v or
manual pump. You see them all the time. Some are as small as 20
gallons. I hate hauling diesel back and forth and have seriously
considered one of these larger tanks. The problem is that I have two
pickups and don't always use the same truck to transport fuel.

Carpenter October 21st 06 03:11 AM

Gasoline powered tools?

Inquiringmind wrote:
OK, this is a silly question but . . . I've only seen electric powered
tools up close. I have been tempted to buy gasoline powered tools but
I have always wondered -- how to do you get and store the gasoline for
them?

Not a silly question at all. Pity it has received some silly answers.
These two links should get you started on the basics:

http://www.mapllc.com/safety/api_gasoline_safety.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/co/

Cheers

Inquiringmind October 28th 06 11:54 PM

Gasoline powered tools?

Thanks very much!

Carpenter October 29th 06 01:52 AM

Gasoline powered tools?

Inquiringmind wrote:
Thanks very much!

You are quite welcome. Have fun with your gas powered tools.