DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Habeas Corpus is no longer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179819-habeas-corpus-no-longer.html)

Stormin Mormon October 20th 06 12:12 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Is it time for the UN to come in and liberate us?

Toller October 20th 06 12:38 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

ALERT FROM JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARMS OWNERSHIP
America's Aggressive Civil Rights Organization

And I thought "Jews for Jesus" was peculiar.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 02:58 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"Toller" wrote in message
ALERT FROM JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARMS OWNERSHIP
America's Aggressive Civil Rights Organization

And I thought "Jews for Jesus" was peculiar.

Actually, this organization makes the NRA look like a bunch of pussies. I
like it.

HeyBub October 20th 06 03:49 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Is it time for the UN to come in and liberate us?

ALERT FROM JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARMS OWNERSHIP
America's Aggressive Civil Rights Organization

October 19, 2006

JPFO ALERT: R.I.P. Habeas Corpus

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006, another nail was pounded
into freedom's coffin when President Bush signed the
Military Commissions Act into law. Within the Act, the
800-year tradition of Habeas Corpus -- the right of the
accused to face their accuser in court -- was essentially
eliminated.

First, habeas corpus is used almost always in criminal complaints.
Terrorists, POWs, and unlawful enemy combatants (spys, saboteurs, guerillas,
etc.) are not criminals and have never had the protections afforded in the
Bill of Rights (trial by jury, legal counsel, etc.). It's not an 800-year
old tradition. Habeas Corpus has NEVER been afforded those captured in time
of war.

Second, the president's Article II powers trumph almost any other
constitutional provisions. The courts have, for 230 years, unanimously said
so.

Third, the Supreme Court tried to interpose itself in the situation. The
Congress said: 1) We are going to set up, by law, the exact same military
commissions the president originally proposed and 2) We are removing the
whole business from review by the judiciary. This means that the military
tribunals are OUTSIDE the jurisdiction of the courts. Never again can the
Supreme Court meddle with military tribunals. The court was not only
rebuked, it was slapped down hard.

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps in the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

The first military tribunal was conducted by George Washington when Maj Gen
Andre was tried as a spy - by a military commission. Andre was hanged within
ten days of being caught behind our lines in disguise.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 11:03 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

This system *might* work fairly, assuming the military was not contaminated
at the moment. You might do well to do some reading about the military's
condition at the end of Eisenhower's term.

Norminn October 20th 06 12:07 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps in the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

Doug Miller October 20th 06 12:59 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article .net, Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps in the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 01:02 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps in
the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

Are we referring to Japanese families during WWII?

Doug Miller October 20th 06 01:06 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps in
the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

Are we referring to Japanese families during WWII?

That's what I assumed.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 01:08 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

t...
wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps
in
the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

Are we referring to Japanese families during WWII?

That's what I assumed.

I wonder if access to the courts did them any good. I mean, what if Great
Britain declared war against us. Would we begin rounding up everyone of
English descent, and expect them to prove they weren't spies while they
rotted in prison camps? Sounds like profiling to me.

Doug Miller October 20th 06 02:25 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps
in
the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

Are we referring to Japanese families during WWII?

That's what I assumed.

I wonder if access to the courts did them any good.

Not much.

I mean, what if Great
Britain declared war against us. Would we begin rounding up everyone of
English descent, and expect them to prove they weren't spies while they
rotted in prison camps? Sounds like profiling to me.

Absolutely it was profiling. Carried out by that great Democrat hero, Franklin
Delano Roosevelt.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 02:27 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
gy.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

Of course, you're fully aware that his party affiliation is 100% irrelevant.
You just threw that in because you thought it meant something.

Doug Miller October 20th 06 02:39 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
igy.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

Actually, it's quite relevant in pointing out the hypocrisy of the Democrats
of today, who are quick to scream "profiling" whenever anyone suggests, for
example, that it would make sense for airport screeners to pay a little more
attention to young men of Middle Eastern origin than to, say, elderly women.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 02:43 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
digy.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT done
something slimy.

Doug Miller October 20th 06 02:53 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
odigy.net...
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter? Eisenhower was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I remember Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call *stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

--
Regards,

Kurt Ullman October 20th 06 02:53 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

Absolutely it was profiling. Carried out by that great Democrat hero,
Franklin
Delano Roosevelt.

Of course, you're fully aware that his party affiliation is 100% irrelevant.
You just threw that in because you thought it meant something.

Actually, it's quite relevant in pointing out the hypocrisy of the Democrats
of today, who are quick to scream "profiling" whenever anyone suggests, for
example, that it would make sense for airport screeners to pay a little more
attention to young men of Middle Eastern origin than to, say, elderly women.

The Dem-dude also participated in a much purer form of racial
profiling since race was the ONLY factor. Most profiling today has race
as ONE component of many. Even with the terrorist, you also have to have
some other characteristics (some behavioral such as nervousness, some
more objective such as when and how tickets are bought, etc., etc) to
trip the warning lights.

RicodJour October 20th 06 02:56 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT done
something slimy.

Leave Monica's dress out of this, okay? ;)

RicodJour October 20th 06 02:58 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I understand that it is almost impossible to keep politics from
creeping into home repair thread. It is not impossible for someone
starting an entirely political thread to type OT straightaway. Thanks.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 03:27 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter? Eisenhower
was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I remember
Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they
didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call *stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

I guess Carter was pretty harmless. As far as the rest, what are the last 5
history books you've read?

HeyBub October 20th 06 03:38 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .net,
Norminn wrote:
clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541
camps in the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas
or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

If you mean the Japanese, yes they did have access to our courts. The courts
uniformly denied relief. Executive Order 9066, to round up and detain
Japanese-Americans was ultimately found to be constitutional by the Supreme
Court and is still the law of the land.

If, on the other hand, you mean American citizens caught on the battlefield
in the uniform of Germans or Italians, no, they did not have access to the
courts.

HeyBub October 20th 06 03:41 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Doug Miller wrote:

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has
NOT done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter?
Eisenhower was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I
remember Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they
didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call
*stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

Carter - Iran hostages and giving away the Panama Canal
Ford - Allowing the N. Koreans to sieze the Pueblo without consequence

Doug Miller October 20th 06 04:13 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter? Eisenhower
was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I remember
Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they
didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call *stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

I guess Carter was pretty harmless. As far as the rest, what are the last 5
history books you've read?

I don't need to read a history book to know what was going on during Ford's
administration: I was alive, of voting age, and reading newspapers then. What
"slimy" things did Ford do? Or Eisenhower, for that matter -- I notice you
didn't name any.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller October 20th 06 04:16 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has
NOT done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter?
Eisenhower was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I
remember Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they
didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call
*stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

Carter - Iran hostages and giving away the Panama Canal
Ford - Allowing the N. Koreans to sieze the Pueblo without consequence

Those are some of the items I had in mind when I said "plenty of things that
I'd call *stupid* ..." but not "slimy". Clinton was, and is, slimy. Nixon was
slimy. JFK with multiple mistresses was slimy. As much as I admire Reagan ...
Iran-Contra was slimy. And as much as I detest Carter, he wasn't slimy.
Stupid and incompetent, yes. Slimy? Carter? No.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 04:28 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
[...]

Let me make sure I'm clear about what you're saying: If you were alive and
following the news during a president's term, you know everything you need
to know about that period, and nothing of importance can be learned later.
Is that what you're saying?

Norminn October 20th 06 06:03 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...

In article .net,
Norminn wrote:

clipped

Interestingly, there were over 300,000 POWs incarcerated in 541 camps
in
the
US during WW2. NOT ONE of them had access to our courts, via habeas or
otherwise. ALL were handled by the military.

Don't forget the Americans sent to camps in the US.

But they *did* have access to our courts.

Are we referring to Japanese families during WWII?

That's what I assumed.

I wonder if access to the courts did them any good. I mean, what if Great
Britain declared war against us. Would we begin rounding up everyone of
English descent, and expect them to prove they weren't spies while they
rotted in prison camps? Sounds like profiling to me.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/03650084.asp

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/dec/dec07.htm

The first link is to an article that compares Japanese/American
situation to the habeas issue now. Second link is to FDR's executive
order (love those things) setting the "rules". The recourse American
citizens had at the time was impotent. There were 120,000 people, many
American born, sent to camps. "We have nothing to fear but fear
itself."? Wow!!!!!

There is an interesting article in Vanity Fair about the ordeal in Iraq
that is resulting in courts martial of several Marines. Began with an
IED blowing up the fourth vehicle in a four-vehicle convoy. The Marine
who had been driving was blown in two, lower half of his body still in
the vehicle, the rest of him on the road. Third tour in Iraq. Anybody
know how this war is any different than Viet Nam, other than the fact
that the French didn't first fight it for 27 years?

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 06:10 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"Norminn" wrote in message
link.net...

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
gy.net...

In article .net,
Norminn wrote:

clipped

[...]

Iraq is very different from Vietnam because President Nookular says we have
god on our side. That's enough for me pass the pretzels.

Norminn October 20th 06 06:19 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

clipped

You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter? Eisenhower was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I remember Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call *stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

I was about 10 years old during the McCarthy hearings, but I can
remember thinking what a nasty guy he was. As for Ike, try this:

"Eisenhower's personal and political instincts came into conflict during
a campaign stop in McCarthy's home state of Wisconsin. Eisenhower was
prepared to deliver a defense of Marshall, praising him "as a man and a
soldier," and condemning the tactics of McCarthy as a "sobering lesson
in the way freedom must not defend itself." But noble intentions gave
way to political reality. Aware of McCarthy's huge base of support and
not willing to risk losing votes in a crucial state, Eisenhower
delivered his speech minus the defense of Marshall and the condemnation
of McCarthy. It was a decision that would haunt him for the rest of his
life."

Mo
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/preside..._politics.html

Sorry for quoting the liberal media, but conservative media doesn't keep
a record :o) As for which party can be the worst, in a moral sense, it
depends on the times. Wonder what Paula Jones is up to these days?
Wonder if Monica ever thinks about how she might have changed history?
During the time of Ike and FDR, both long-term adulterers, folks tended
to make fun of their wives. The more things change ......

Norminn October 20th 06 06:23 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

clipped

Those are some of the items I had in mind when I said "plenty of things that
I'd call *stupid* ..." but not "slimy". Clinton was, and is, slimy. Nixon was
slimy. JFK with multiple mistresses was slimy. As much as I admire Reagan ...
Iran-Contra was slimy. And as much as I detest Carter, he wasn't slimy.
Stupid and incompetent, yes. Slimy? Carter? No.

Only reason Carter was ever conceiveable as President was because we
were in a lather for "small govenment" and he had made Georgia smaller.
Another one-issue election debacle.

Doug Miller October 20th 06 10:30 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
[...]

You seem to be having some difficulty answering the question I asked: What did
Ford or Eisenhower do that was "slimy"? Quit changing the subject.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller October 20th 06 10:31 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Iraq is very different from Vietnam because President Nookular says we have
god on our side. That's enough for me pass the pretzels.

Oh, really? When did he say that?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller October 20th 06 10:34 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

In article . net, Norminn wrote:

Only reason Carter was ever conceiveable as President was because we
were in a lather for "small govenment" and he had made Georgia smaller.

Oh, phooey. "Small government" had nothing at all to do with Carter's
election. People were still POed at Nixon over Watergate -- and at Ford for
pardoning him. *That* is the only thing that ever got that incompetent boob of
a peanut farmer elected.

--
Regards,

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 10:41 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
[...]

I'm not your teacher, and someone else already provided examples. I'm asking
you whether it's worth spending time with history books covering periods
when you were alive, or do you think you learn everything that can be
learned just by reading newspapers and watching TV.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 10:42 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

m...
wrote:

Iraq is very different from Vietnam because President Nookular says we
have
god on our side. That's enough for me pass the pretzels.

Oh, really? When did he say that?

Stop...you're killin' me, Mr Miller. Your president is on a crusade, not a
rational mission. You know that. His own military people are saying it's
failure.

HeyBub October 20th 06 10:49 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

Carter admitted in a Playboy (slimey) interview that he "lusted in his
heart" (slimey). He killed a rabbit in distress (slimey). Carter allowed 52
American to languish in Iran for 444 days. This latter was not a decision
based on incompetence.

Nixon, who you categorize as slimey, opened access to Red China and ended
the Viet Nam war, yet he is villified for trying to jack with the Democrats.
Oh well.

Lawrence J. Peter (the man who discovered "The Peter Principle") once said:
"I have been studying governments, man and boy, for forty years. I have yet
to discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools or by brilliant
people who are just putting us on."

HeyBub October 20th 06 10:51 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

Norminn wrote:
clipped

Those are some of the items I had in mind when I said "plenty of
things that I'd call *stupid* ..." but not "slimy". Clinton was, and
is, slimy. Nixon was slimy. JFK with multiple mistresses was slimy.
As much as I admire Reagan ... Iran-Contra was slimy. And as much as
I detest Carter, he wasn't slimy. Stupid and incompetent, yes.
Slimy? Carter? No.

Only reason Carter was ever conceiveable as President was because we
were in a lather for "small govenment" and he had made Georgia
smaller. Another one-issue election debacle.

Hmm. I thought the nation was appalled at Nixon's seeming corruption and
wanted a moral exemplar.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 10:54 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Nixon, who you categorize as slimey, opened access to Red China and ended
the Viet Nam war, yet he is villified for trying to jack with the
Democrats. Oh well.

Maybe I was hallucinating, but I seem to recall our embassy staff being
hustled off a rooftop in a helicopter. Nixon had no choice but to end the
war.

There are idiots in some newsgroups who think you can go forward knowing
nothing about history. This is why we failed in Vietnam, why we will fail in
Iraq, and why we are on the cusp of either failing or succeeding in
Afghanistan and Pakistan.

(Did he say Pakistan?)

Bob F October 20th 06 11:09 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:kx4_g.18584
You cannot name any president since the beginning of WWII who has NOT

done
something slimy.

OK, I'll take the bait.

What "slimy" things were done by Eisenhower, Ford, orCarter? Eisenhower

was a
bit before my time (I was born during his second term), but I remember

Ford
and Carter pretty well. I'm no big fan of either of them... but they

didn't do
anything that I'd call "slimy". Plenty of things that I'd call *stupid* --
especially Carter -- but slimy??? Naaah.

Eisenhower - Overthrow of the legitimate government of Guatemala in 1954.

Bob

Bob F October 20th 06 11:14 PM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message news:iq7_g.3542
Iraq is very different from Vietnam because President Nookular says we

have
god on our side. That's enough for me pass the pretzels.

Iraq was very different from Vietnam because Bush had a plan to
get out of Vietnam.

Bob

Doug Miller October 21st 06 12:34 AM

Habeas Corpus is no longer

wrote:
[...]

Despite being asked three times to justify your claim by specifying exactly
what slimy things Ford and Eisenhower did, you're unable to come up with
anything, so you attempt to hide that by trying to put the onus on me.

Won't work, Joe.

You made a claim. I challenged it. Three times, you've failed to back it up.

--
Regards,