DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Blow new insulation on top of batts, leaving air pockets underneath? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179616-blow-new-insulation-top-batts-leaving-air-pockets-underneath.html)

[email protected] October 17th 06 06:33 PM

Blow new insulation on top of batts, leaving air pockets underneath?

In my attic I have 1-6 inches of loose fiberglass (some of it has been
disturbed pretty good, thats why it varies so much), with 6 inch batts
on top of that.

I'm having a contractor blow in some additional loose fiberglass, and
he says its ok to just pile it on top of the batts, even though there
may be almost no insulation underneath them in some places. I assumed
we'd need to move all the batts to one side, blow in the fill, then
move them to the other side and repeat.

Is it ok to have 4+ inch air pockets under the batts? It just seems
wierd, having no insulation directly on the other side of the ceiling.

Joseph Meehan October 17th 06 07:52 PM

wrote:
In my attic I have 1-6 inches of loose fiberglass (some of it has been
disturbed pretty good, thats why it varies so much), with 6 inch batts
on top of that.

I'm having a contractor blow in some additional loose fiberglass, and
he says its ok to just pile it on top of the batts, even though there
may be almost no insulation underneath them in some places. I assumed
we'd need to move all the batts to one side, blow in the fill, then
move them to the other side and repeat.

Is it ok to have 4+ inch air pockets under the batts? It just seems
wierd, having no insulation directly on the other side of the ceiling.

Sure. While it might be better to have those voids filled with
insulation, I doubt if it would be worth the trouble to do so.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

DK October 17th 06 10:02 PM

On 17 Oct 2006 10:33:44 -0700, wrote:

In my attic I have 1-6 inches of loose fiberglass (some of it has been
disturbed pretty good, thats why it varies so much), with 6 inch batts
on top of that.

I'm having a contractor blow in some additional loose fiberglass, and
he says its ok to just pile it on top of the batts, even though there
may be almost no insulation underneath them in some places. I assumed
we'd need to move all the batts to one side, blow in the fill, then
move them to the other side and repeat.

Is it ok to have 4+ inch air pockets under the batts? It just seems
wierd, having no insulation directly on the other side of the ceiling.

Sure, give the man a couple of hundred extra dollars to straighten
out your batts.