Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement window trim

I'm going to try and replace the original windows in my 30-year old home, on
my own, with vinyl replacement windows - I'm going to try doing one in the
back of the house, see how it goes, and either pay someone to do the rest or
finish the rest myself. I'll be using the Lowes \ HD vinyl replacement
windows.

Two questions:

1 - Once the replacement windows are in, do I have to use exactly the same
size trim? The existing trim is ripped something-or-other - I'd rather use
standard sized pieces.

2 - Should I use treated lumber or untreated lumbar?

I'm going to have the entire house repainted after I finish the windows.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

the replacement windows from HD or Lowe's pop in from the inside of the
house; it sounds as if you think they go in from the outside if you're
talking about replacing the exterior trim. they insert from the inside
and butt up against the trim on the outside. to insert the windows,
you need to take off the trim on the inside (there's only a few
pieces), then take out the window sashes. i would use a utility knife
to cut thru the paint where the trim meets the wall. i found that
measuring is the hardest part, the other stuff is easy; your first
window might take 2 hrs, the 2nd 1 hr, and the rest a half hour.
installation from HD doubles the price, so it's better to do it
yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

New windows without good flashing may not be a good idea.

Visit www.pella.com or Andersen window site and download their instruction
to see how windows need to be installed.