Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Thinset From Tiles

I removed a few tiles from my bathtub shower enclosure to make a small
repair. Is there any easy way I can remove the thinset on the back of the
tiles so I can reuse them? They were installed when the house was built 27
years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you find an easy way, let me know.

Someone spent a lot of money back when attempting to stick those
tile in a manner that would not come undone. To save a few tile
to reinstall, carefully grind the thinset off the back. I would
suggest a concrete rubbing stone hand toot), if you break the tile
it cannot be matched unless you have some spares.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I removed a few tiles from my bathtub shower enclosure to make a
small repair. Is there any easy way I can remove the thinset on
the back of the tiles so I can reuse them? They were installed
when the house was built 27 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ultraglide" wrote in
:

I removed a few tiles from my bathtub shower enclosure to make a small
repair. Is there any easy way I can remove the thinset on the back of
the tiles so I can reuse them? They were installed when the house was
built 27 years ago.

Scrape, chip, grind and pray.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I removed a few tiles from my bathtub shower enclosure to make a small
repair. Is there any easy way I can remove the thinset on the back of the
tiles so I can reuse them? They were installed when the house was built 27
years ago.

Soak them in water for a day, then give each family member a paint scraper
and scrape away. It comes off, just be careful to scrape and not chip.
High spots will come off with sandpaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
I removed a few tiles from my bathtub shower enclosure to make a small
repair. Is there any easy way I can remove the thinset on the back of the
tiles so I can reuse them? They were installed when the house was built 27
years ago.

I have done this by letting the tile soak in water, with just a few
drops of dish washing liquid added to assist penetration and then wire
brushing it off.

Lewis.

*****