Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad GFI?

A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker and
toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the cause). Since
then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited sucess. I got the
circuit to work a few times (holding the reset button for 1-2 minutes until
the light went out) but it will blow out again if only one small electrical
appliance was used. Could this be a case where the GFI outlet is bad and
just needs replaced or is there some other cause I might be missing. The
circuit in the electrical box does not trip. Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"R Rockwell" wrote in
:

A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker
and toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the
cause). Since then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited
sucess. I got the circuit to work a few times (holding the reset
button for 1-2 minutes until the light went out)

Shouldn't have to hold it that long........

but it will blow out
again if only one small electrical appliance was used. Could this be
a case where the GFI outlet is bad and just needs replaced or is there
some other cause I might be missing.

GFI's not only provide over amperage protection but also current leakage
protection....if it keeps blowing while plugging the same appliance into it
then the appliance becomes suspect. If on the other hand it keeps blowing
while plugging in various appliances (one at a time), then the GFI and/or
the wiring connected to it becomes suspect. If it blows when nothing is
plugged into it, then that more than likely indicates a moisture problem.

Check out the following web page for a GFI tutorial:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infgfi.shtm#2

Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems unlikely that your toaster or coffee maker would have ground
currents occurring apart from your good self, and aren't normally considered
GFI troublemakers. The most common problem machines are ones with motors, or
big capacitors.

Try using another combination of appliances?

"R Rockwell" wrote in message
A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker and
toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the cause).
Since then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited sucess. I got
the circuit to work a few times (holding the reset button for 1-2 minutes
until the light went out) but it will blow out again if only one small
electrical appliance was used. Could this be a case where the GFI outlet
is bad and just needs replaced or is there some other cause I might be
missing. The circuit in the electrical box does not trip. Thanks for any
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

first, discard defective appliance if it blows a different [bath?]
gfi.
or blows any different breaker.

R Rockwell wrote:
A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker and
toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the cause). Since
then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited sucess. I got the
circuit to work a few times (holding the reset button for 1-2 minutes until
the light went out) but it will blow out again if only one small electrical
appliance was used. Could this be a case where the GFI outlet is bad and
just needs replaced or is there some other cause I might be missing. The
circuit in the electrical box does not trip. Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

propman wrote:
"R Rockwell" wrote in
:

A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker
and toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the
cause). Since then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited
sucess. I got the circuit to work a few times (holding the reset
button for 1-2 minutes until the light went out)

Shouldn't have to hold it that long........

but it will blow out
again if only one small electrical appliance was used. Could this be
a case where the GFI outlet is bad and just needs replaced or is there
some other cause I might be missing.

GFI's not only provide over amperage protection but also current leakage
protection...

Are you sure about that? The breaker type that go into a panel
provide both, but I thought the outlet type only tripped on ground
faults. The amp rating on those was just the amount of current it
could safely handle, like any other outlet.

..if it keeps blowing while plugging the same appliance into it
then the appliance becomes suspect. If on the other hand it keeps blowing
while plugging in various appliances (one at a time), then the GFI and/or
the wiring connected to it becomes suspect. If it blows when nothing is
plugged into it, then that more than likely indicates a moisture problem.

Check out the following web page for a GFI tutorial:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infgfi.shtm#2

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sounds like the outlet went bad. The high current being pulled through it
from the two appliances, over time probably just fried it. GFCI outlets have
no over current protection, so that wouldn't have tripped it, and if the two
appliances work in other GFCI outlets, they don't have ground faults. That
plus the fact that it took a while to get it to reset, which is not
normal... Replace it

"R Rockwell" wrote in message
A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker and
toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the cause).
Since then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited sucess. I got
the circuit to work a few times (holding the reset button for 1-2 minutes
until the light went out) but it will blow out again if only one small
electrical appliance was used. Could this be a case where the GFI outlet
is bad and just needs replaced or is there some other cause I might be
missing. The circuit in the electrical box does not trip. Thanks for any
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
ups.com:

propman wrote:
"R Rockwell" wrote in
:

[...]

Mea culpa.....badly worded on my part. Yes you are quite correct and
thanks for pointing that out. :-)

.if it keeps blowing while plugging the same appliance into it
then the appliance becomes suspect. If on the other hand it keeps
blowing while plugging in various appliances (one at a time), then
the GFI and/or the wiring connected to it becomes suspect. If it
blows when nothing is plugged into it, then that more than likely
indicates a moisture problem.

Check out the following web page for a GFI tutorial:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infgfi.shtm#2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:11:49 GMT, propman wrote:

"R Rockwell" wrote in
:

[...]

I had a GFI damaged by moisture. The moisture inside ants and their
feces.

Check out the following web page for a GFI tutorial:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infgfi.shtm#2

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:25:13 -0400, "R Rockwell"
wrote:

A GFI circuit in my kitchen was recently tripped when the coffee maker and
toaster were used at the same time (I'm assuming this was the cause). Since
then I have tried to reset the circuit with limited sucess. I got the
circuit to work a few times (holding the reset button for 1-2 minutes until
the light went out) but it will blow out again if only one small electrical
appliance was used. Could this be a case where the GFI outlet is bad and
just needs replaced or is there some other cause I might be missing. The
circuit in the electrical box does not trip. Thanks for any help.

IMHO:

I've never heard of hold the reset for 1-2 mins. You might have a
defective GFCI. Does the coffee maker and toaster trip any other GFCI
protected circuits?

Note: GFCI's are designed to protect you, so defeating, or working
around a tripping one can be dangerous.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com