Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buy cheaper insulation where?

I need to winterize my house and need whole bunch of insulation: under
floorboards, attic, heating duct, windows, ..

Is HD my best bet or are there specialty stores that sell these things
cheaper?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in message
I need to winterize my house and need whole bunch of insulation: under
floorboards, attic, heating duct, windows, ..

Is HD my best bet or are there specialty stores that sell these things
cheaper?

You should try calling an insulation contractor, you will be amazed at
how affordable it is. Very VERY close to what you would pay for just the
insulation itself. Example, I just added a 2nd floor on my home, I did it
mostly myself with the exception of the insulation and the plastering. I
knew exactly how much of each size I needed, priced it at home depot and
knew what it was going to cost. One of my family members suggested I get a
price from someone to do it, that they had just done it at their home. I
called 2 different local insulation contractors, both were within 100$ of
eachother. My cost just for the insulation and the rigid air baffles/dams
for the rafter space was roughly 2000$ at das' depot, their total price for
the same with installation was 2200$. What would have taken me probably 2
weekends to do, they did in a day, they sent 3 guys out, one guys was
cutting everything and the other two were hanging it. It was exactly as my
plans specified and the work was flawless. Best 200$ I ever spent. They
either get a very decent discount from their suppliers on the insulation or
they pay their guys pennies.

-Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in message
I need to winterize my house and need whole bunch of insulation: under
floorboards, attic, heating duct, windows, ..

Is HD my best bet or are there specialty stores that sell these things
cheaper?

Wilke's Insulation over on Park Street is the cheapest around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
I need to winterize my house and need whole bunch of insulation: under
floorboards, attic, heating duct, windows, ..

Is HD my best bet or are there specialty stores that sell these things
cheaper?

Periodically HD and Lowes have sales (check your ads).
Both (in this area) provide a free but heavy blower for the Cellulose
insulation (made from at least 75 percent recycled material and
requires 2 people to lift the device.)
Installation is a 2 person job even if your doing roll fiberglass.
Neither provide free delivery even with large purchases. (in my case 60
bales of insulation requires a truck.) Storage becomes an issue if you
can't install it on the day of delivery.
Better hurry if your making a blower type insulation - neither would
guarantee a unit on a specific date (true as the temperature gets
colder and people see their heating bills.)

I talked with a couple of insulation installers at a recent home show
who "verbally quoted" me prices of $1.50 - .75 square foot for blown
insulation. Everything was "subject" to adjustment before a formal
quote could be made. And while they kept emphasizing that people in
"our region" needs R48 levels that was not the level they were quoting
for the $1.50-.75 installation..... sigh. Make sure you GET what you
pay for if you go that route. (Quote needs to include the number of
batts or bags to be installed.) Get references!!!!

A more realistic R factor is probably R25-R30 over existing
atticinsulation

It does cost more to do fiberglass than the Celleulose attic insulation
but you can install it at your leisure versus getting a blower.

REMIND MYSELF TO FOLLOW MY OWN ADVICE

Home Insulation Tazz Home Repair 2 October 2nd 06 09:39 PM
Temporaire water into insulation could affect insulation and floor rafters? Chris Home Repair 1 July 11th 06 01:38 AM
Independent loft insulation advice Broadback UK diy 12 June 13th 06 01:40 PM
Is it possible to find wire insulation faults without a visual exam? Home Builder Home Repair 6 March 12th 04 02:17 PM
Insulation: Under floor also Comparisons of mu figures of HW tank insulation etc Z UK diy 0 March 5th 04 10:10 PM