DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lime amount under pine tree (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/178286-lime-amount-under-pine-tree.html)

jb October 6th 06 01:57 AM

Lime amount under pine tree

I removed a large pine tree in my yard. The circle diameter in the
ground is close to 10ft. The tree was 20 years old. How do I treat the
underlying soil to make it ready for grass planting. Thanks for your help

[email protected] October 6th 06 03:08 AM

Lime amount under pine tree

Do a soil test, cheap via most cooperative extension centers.

Bob S. October 6th 06 03:19 AM

Lime amount under pine tree

jb wrote:
I removed a large pine tree in my yard. The circle diameter in the
ground is close to 10ft. The tree was 20 years old. How do I treat the
underlying soil to make it ready for grass planting. Thanks for your help

The standard answer is "don't guess - get a soil test".
However, in practice, an educated guess would be 15 lbs of lime spread
over a 20' circle and worked into the soil. (lime placed on the surface
penetrates average soil 1"/yr.)

Bob S.

[email protected] October 6th 06 12:54 PM

Lime amount under pine tree

Bob S. wrote:
jb wrote:
I removed a large pine tree in my yard. The circle diameter in the
ground is close to 10ft. The tree was 20 years old. How do I treat the
underlying soil to make it ready for grass planting. Thanks for your help

The standard answer is "don't guess - get a soil test".
However, in practice, an educated guess would be 15 lbs of lime spread
over a 20' circle and worked into the soil. (lime placed on the surface
penetrates average soil 1"/yr.)

Bob S.

I would lime the hell out of it. You can never add to much lime as far
as I'm concerned.

Paul

Stubby October 6th 06 03:30 PM

Lime amount under pine tree

You certainly can add too much lime. It will kill grass very
effectively. That's what is used to mark football fields.

Limestone is not as bad, but applied thickly, it will behave the same.