Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint over bathroom vinyl tile?

White vinyl tile (1' square) is getting grungy. I can't afford/don't
want to rip up & redo. Too lazy/busy to get a vinyl sheet cut to size
around vanity, bowl, etc. and put it down myself (yoicks! I always
**** up measurements).

Is there a paint that will cover well and last a while?

Tx for your recommendations.

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
White vinyl tile (1' square) is getting grungy. I can't afford/don't
want to rip up & redo. Too lazy/busy to get a vinyl sheet cut to size
around vanity, bowl, etc. and put it down myself (yoicks! I always
**** up measurements).

Is there a paint that will cover well and last a while?

Almost any paint fulfills the requirement that the job be crappy. I
used an high gloss oil based enamel to fix a similar problem. It is
not pretty or cheap but it dries hard as a rock and waterproof too.
then caulk the edges with a silicon caulk. Clean up with mineral
spirits. I pay about $23/gal U.S. for paint like that around here.
Lesser paint will have less of a chance of adhering to what I would
call a problem surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in message

White vinyl tile (1' square) is getting grungy. I can't afford/don't
want to rip up & redo. Too lazy/busy to get a vinyl sheet cut to size
around vanity, bowl, etc. and put it down myself (yoicks! I always
**** up measurements).

Redoing shouln't be expensive. If you have a standard smallish bath of
50-square feet or so you could easilly do it for $50-$75, maybe less. If
the vinyl is relatively new (in the last 20 years or so) it shoudl come
right up with a heat gun and scraper...

Personally I can't stand vinyl tile, though. We just tore up a bathroom
with that crap and replaced it with ceramic. Lowes had a closeout on some
ceramic for a whopping 55 cents per tile. Total job cost us about $50,
including mortar and grout...

-Tim

loose & leaking bathroom tile steve UK diy 1 August 6th 06 03:50 AM
Bathroom paint problem emma UK diy 4 February 6th 06 10:32 PM
Type of paint for bathroom walls and ceiling Myrna Home Repair 0 January 6th 06 05:11 PM
vinyl paint on house lee Home Repair 6 July 11th 03 04:27 AM