Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Standoff Post Base Clearance 1" vs. 1 5/8"

I need to replace one of my deck's standoff post bases. I'm finding
it impossible to find a standoff base that affords 1 5/8" clearance as
the one I need to replace does. At Lowes I picked up a PA66E-TZ post
anchor but it's clearance is only 1". In fact, all the standoff bases
I can find at my local Lowe's or Home Depot or even online are all 1"
standoff height. The post itself is in good shape so I just wanted to
replace the base but with the 1" standoffs I'm left with a gap of
5/8".

Does anyone know where to get a 1 5/8" standoff post base?

I was also thinking if cutting a piece of wood to attach to the bottom
of the post to extend it the 5/8" (it'd be 6" x 6" x 5/8"). Problem
there is I'm not sure the 5/8" piece wouldn't just get crushed with
the weight of the deck on it. Is this a bad idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chazzum wrote:
I need to replace one of my deck's standoff post bases. I'm finding
it impossible to find a standoff base that affords 1 5/8" clearance as
the one I need to replace does. At Lowes I picked up a PA66E-TZ post
anchor but it's clearance is only 1". In fact, all the standoff bases
I can find at my local Lowe's or Home Depot or even online are all 1"
standoff height. The post itself is in good shape so I just wanted to
replace the base but with the 1" standoffs I'm left with a gap of
5/8".

Does anyone know where to get a 1 5/8" standoff post base?

I was also thinking if cutting a piece of wood to attach to the bottom
of the post to extend it the 5/8" (it'd be 6" x 6" x 5/8"). Problem
there is I'm not sure the 5/8" piece wouldn't just get crushed with
the weight of the deck on it. Is this a bad idea?

if you were holding up the weight of a whole house, a 5/8" shim would
get crushed. but holding up a deck should be no problem. besides, if
it did crush a little, what would it hurt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chazzum spake thus:

I was also thinking if cutting a piece of wood to attach to the bottom
of the post to extend it the 5/8" (it'd be 6" x 6" x 5/8"). Problem
there is I'm not sure the 5/8" piece wouldn't just get crushed with
the weight of the deck on it. Is this a bad idea?

A 5/8" thick shim should be no problem; just make sure it's cut with the
grain the long way (in other words, *don't* cut a 5/8" piece off a 4x4
or whatever your posts are). You can tack it to the bottom of the post
with a couple of small toenails.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS cohibas Home Ownership 1 December 24th 04 01:20 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM