Posted to alt.home.repair

Default custom-building a tall water-heater shed

We have a standard 30-gallon water heater on the outside of our house,
which used to have a metal enclosure around it. When we got the house
restuccoed, we removed the enclosure, which twisted and bent so badly
that we gave the metal to the recycling center. Now that we're ready
for a new enclosure, I'm finding that none will fit. The old enclosure
was 24d"x24"w, which is a standard size, but it was a whopping 91" tall
because the pipes extend way up the wall before entering the house. The
standard-sized enclosures are only about 60" tall. Does anyone have
ideas about what to do?
The plumbing supply house tells me not to build it from wood because
that's not up to code (fire hazard). I'm sure that having one
custom-fabricated would cost a lot. It seems like my only options a
1) Custom-build one with sheet metal (and try to avoid lacerating my
hands).
2) Build a 2-foot footing, then plop a standard-sized enclosure on top
of that.
3) Drill new, lower holes through the stucco and have the pipes
re-routed through those holes (and patch the old holes, which will
never match the brand-new stucco).
4) Use a standard-sized enclosure and just let the pipes be exposed to
the outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of thoughts;
R-panel oversize at 36" but readily available and fireproof especially
with a C-perlin frame, and it can all be assembled with self-tapping
screws with a drill.

http://www.ctmrs.com/panels/rpanel.shtml

Hardiboard concrete siding and structural boards, that can be cut to
size & again are fire proof.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...me/default.php

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

James Toomey wrote:
We have a standard 30-gallon water heater on the outside of our house,
which used to have a metal enclosure around it.

snip

2) Build a 2-foot footing, then plop a standard-sized enclosure on top
of that.

Probably cheapest and easiest if the enclosure is an off the shelf
item. It would look rather neat if the height extending masonry were
some nce stone or brick layup. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Sep 2006 19:30:38 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

James Toomey wrote:
We have a standard 30-gallon water heater on the outside of our house,
which used to have a metal enclosure around it.

snip

2) Build a 2-foot footing, then plop a standard-sized enclosure on top
of that.

Probably cheapest and easiest if the enclosure is an off the shelf
item. It would look rather neat if the height extending masonry were
some nce stone or brick layup. HTH

USe the standard enclosdure, and insulate the pipes separately.

water heater saga Nonnymus Home Repair 2 June 19th 06 12:34 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM