Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotating Breaker Box

Hello - I have recently made a wash/laundry room on the other side of
my breaker box. I was wondering if it would be too much trouble to
simply just rotate the box around to be asscessed from the wash room
instead of the main hall to the bedrooms. Right now I have a picture
hanging over it. The sheetrock in the wash room has been removed and I
can see the back of the box and all the wires going to it.

I have experience with electricity, but am no professional. I have
wired small projects, but never messed with the incoming power line. I
guess you have to call the power company to turn that sucker off?

Would I be better getting an electician? Or should I just leave my
picture hanging over it? Or do it myself?

Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:

Hello - I have recently made a wash/laundry room on the other side of
my breaker box. I was wondering if it would be too much trouble to
simply just rotate the box around to be asscessed from the wash room
instead of the main hall to the bedrooms. Right now I have a picture
hanging over it. The sheetrock in the wash room has been removed and I
can see the back of the box and all the wires going to it.

I have experience with electricity, but am no professional. I have
wired small projects, but never messed with the incoming power line. I
guess you have to call the power company to turn that sucker off?

Would I be better getting an electician? Or should I just leave my
picture hanging over it? Or do it myself?

Thanks...

Sound like "a long run for a short slide". Id suggest leaving it as it
is. Something is bound to make the job more difficult than you'd expect
it to be and you'll probably reach a point where you'd be sorry you
started the job. Not to mention the possibility that the codes in your
town may require you to get the work signed off by an electrical
inspector, or risk a messy insurance problem downstream if something
goes wrong and the truth gets out.

If you want to satisfy your creative urges how about just making a
hinged mounting for that picture, with a magnetic catch, so you can just
swing it open like a door when you have to get at the breaker box. Like
the kind of thing you used to see covering a wall safe in some old
movies. G

That's what I'd do.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your insurance people would be happier for an electrician to do it.
Also,the power will have to be cut off. I'd stick with the picture,
unless it REALLY bothers you. I've painted the box cover in one I had
in a condo the same as the room walls, which was behind a door, except
when the door was closed. After a while, you simply don't notice it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I have recently made a wash/laundry room on the other side of
my breaker box. I was wondering if it would be too much trouble to
simply just rotate the box around to be asscessed from the wash room
instead of the main hall to the bedrooms. Right now I have a picture
hanging over it. The sheetrock in the wash room has been removed and I
can see the back of the box and all the wires going to it.

I have experience with electricity, but am no professional. I have
wired small projects, but never messed with the incoming power line. I
guess you have to call the power company to turn that sucker off?

Would I be better getting an electician? Or should I just leave my
picture hanging over it? Or do it myself?

Thanks...

If it's an eye sore, move it. I would move it given your current
situation. Everthing open, wires exposed. It's not that difficult to
do. Just need to kill the main and lable all wires to which breajer
they came from. If you not comfortable with the move, then hire
someone. When I had my panel upgraded from 100amp to 200amp it was
about $1000. To move a panel I couldn't image that an electrician
would charge much.....Maybe 200 - 300? Get some estimates and
determine for yourself.