Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Heater Question

Hello,

I have a question regarding a 2001 GE 60 Gallon (natural gas) hot water
tank. I recently noticed that the tank had becoming discolored
(burned?) around the drain pipe near the bottom of the tank. It was
superficial, as it came off with a rag and water, but now I'm noticing
that the white rubber ring that surround the plastic drain pipe is
warping due to heat in the area. It seems that the tank is getting
really hot near the very bottom of the tank - likely to the point where
it is slowly melting the rubber ring. I cleared out the pressure
release valve at the top without issue, and the tank is working fine,
but this is making me a bit nervous. I just added a new dishwasher
about 3 weeks ago, but otherwise, haven't touched the system other than
turning the main supply on and off a few times. I also haven't flushed
the tank since I moved in in 2003. Anyway ideas/suggestions on what
might be causing this? I'm planning on contacting a service company
tomorrow or possibly replacing the sytem, even though it is only 5
years old.

Thank you in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Mineral content of water varies enormously- yours may well have buildup
on the water-side. Or, you may simply have a very slow leak. Mineral
buildup
will generally result in a kind of popping/burping sound a bit after
the burner lights.

At the very least, were I you, I'd prepare to replace the
anodic-protection
rod inside the heater. Which is probably mostly gone after 5 years.
This may
be a problem if you don't have room above the heater.

HTH,
Thank you in advance.