Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot True Stories

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B writes:

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Count me in.

On the most recent occasion, the cashier thought I was weird, as if a
normal person would never do that.

As Bruce Williams used to say, you wouldn't steal something big, why would
you become a thief because it was just a little?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, yesterday at Lowes. Cashier forgot to ring up an item. I pointed it
out. No way I'm going to just steal something due to an oversite.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

never had a miss ring at home depot, but they forget items all the
time, and I point them out. They once delivered an extra 22' 6x6 to my
house while I was building a deck , and when I called, they told me to
keep it.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Tim Fischer" wrote:

Well, yesterday at Lowes. Cashier forgot to ring up an item. I pointed it
out. No way I'm going to just steal something due to an oversite.

I've had that happen to me several times. Often when I buy
plumbingitems I screw them together to make sure they fit and keep them
together, and the girl will ring up just one of them. If I hate thieves
why should I steal?

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B, 9/27/2006,1:00:53 AM, wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes
to the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing
happened. In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and
you have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

A couple of weeks ago we bought ten cans of paint at lowes and I was
charged for eleven of them. I questioned the charge since it seemed
high to me and we had to hold up the line while everything got
rescanned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:00:53 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote Re Home Depot True Stories:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

While you are waiting your wife is doing the neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Not exactly what you want, but not until I got home did I notice that I
had been charged $2.50 for an item that I had not ordered. Since Home
Depot is 10 miles away, I decided to forget it since it would have cost
that much in gas. Now I watch their cashiers like a hawk. BTW, Lowes
is further but I prefer to shop there.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out
mistakes to the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such
a thing happened. In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier,
and you have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

I don't have a HD story but one time a brokerage firm credited me with
an extra $50,000. I called my broker, told him and he said, "Wait and
see what happens". I waited...what happened was that a couple of
weeks later they caught the error and grabbed the 50 large.

The moral...I should have called my broker and told him I wanted to
withdraw *everything* and close the account. Then I should have gone
to Costa Rica

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

So our local Home Depot has the Self Check thing. Can you complain to
yourself about yourself?? What if you are the one who forgot to ring up an
item? I don't think I've ever rang up something I wasn't supposed to and
over charged myself.

Scott-
"Steve B" wrote in message
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to
the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened.
In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Reprinted from previous thread:

Here is my story:

I was in Home Depot for some miscellaneous items and noticed a
water dispenser (the kind that heats and chills water from a
water bottle, free standing) with a sign on top of it that
said $89.00. I had been looking at these because my wife
wanted one for the house and I had been researching prices. I
knew that this one was regularly about $200 and saw that the
tabletop models were right next to the ones with the special
sign. I was not looking to buy one of these at that moment,
but I knew that was the wrong price. I grabbed the sales rep
in that area and told him that I think that sign is supposed
to be on the table top models. He argued with me and said
that no, the special was for these standalones. I then asked;
if I carry this down to the register, is it going to ring up
at $89.00? He said absolutely. I told him that I had been
looking at these and that was an exceptional price for that
model, it was even a good price for the table top model and
that he should check to make sure that that was the correct
price. He then became surly and informed me that this was his
dept. and he had installed the sign and knew what he was
talking about.

At that point, I decided if that was the price, I needed to
buy it, since it was such a good deal. I asked him to come
with me to the checkout to make sure there were no problems.
He grabbed a cart, put the dispenser in it and walked up to
the checkout with me. The cashier scanned the bar code and it
rang up at $192.00 and change. I looked at the sales guy and,
without a word, he did an override on the transaction and sold
me the unit for $89.00. The next time I passed by there, the
sign was on the table top model.

In addition to that one, I always point out undercharges and
overcharges. The last one was a set of wedges for an axe
handle that I found in the basket while loading my items into
my truck. Took them back inside to pay the $1.29. The
cashier looked at me funny and told me he couldn't believe I
came back for that. I just told him that I like to sleep at
night.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to
the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

See my most recent post in the original thread.

CWM

You have failed to swear and avow that you have done this at EVERY
opportunity in your life.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:41:56 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:
I don't have a HD story but one time a brokerage firm credited me with
an extra $50,000. I called my broker, told him and he said, "Wait and
see what happens". I waited...what happened was that a couple of
weeks later they caught the error and grabbed the 50 large.

Did they collect the earned interest from your account, also?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

I don't go to home depot but I was at a store the other day and the
clerk gave me an extra $20 with the change. I gave it back just like I
did on the few other times something similar happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to
the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened.
In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Well of course I have not pointed out every little thing. It all comes out
in the end. For example, I've bought things only to find they were
defective and never returned it, or an important piece was missing. There
have been times I've overpaid and didn't realize it 'til I was halfway home,
and didn't go back. This is the same concept as the "give a penny, take a
penny" tray at many cash registers. You never see those empty, do you?

It's not a question of honesty, it's a question of practicality. It's best
for everyone this way. And if you asked store executives behind closed
doors, they'd tell you the same thing. It costs more money to get it all
right than is involved in the transaction to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
never had a miss ring at home depot, but they forget items all the
time, and I point them out. They once delivered an extra 22' 6x6 to my
house while I was building a deck , and when I called, they told me to
keep it.

That's exactly my point. It's just the most effiicient thing to do,
especially considering the free advertising they just got.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

While you are waiting your wife is doing the neighbor.

And who can blame her really, after living with so much anal retentiveness?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
So our local Home Depot has the Self Check thing. Can you complain to
yourself about yourself?? What if you are the one who forgot to ring up
an item? I don't think I've ever rang up something I wasn't supposed to
and over charged myself.

Actually I was on the development team for those things. And we determined
that it would be just as easy to steal from the store going through a
regular lane as going through them. In other words, if someone is going to
steal, it's easy to steal. The security measures on the self checkout lanes
are probably overkill since they probably slow down transactions more than
they catch anyone shoplifting. In a supermarket, every item has to be
placed in bags where they are weighed precisely. In Home Depot, it's hardly
practical to put each large item that you might buy there on the
security/bag scale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to
the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened.
In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

I don't go to home depot but I was at a store the other day and the clerk
gave me an extra $20 with the change. I gave it back just like I did on
the few other times something similar happened.

I do this when it involves too much change because the cashier has to pay
that out of their pocket. But no one can make or count change nowadays, and
they give your change to you in a wad.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

While you are waiting your wife is doing the neighbor.

And who can blame her really, after living with so much anal
retentiveness?

Speaking of anal, I am putting you and Caesar in the plonk file. A nice
dark place.

Y'all have fun now, hear?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes

to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened.

In
any transaction.

I can think of a couple. I bought a few things at Wal-Mart, including a
pair of work shoes that were $39.99. It rang up to less than $25.00. I
knew that couldn't be right, and said so. The clerk hadn't scanned the
shoes. She corrected it, and I paid it. I have been given incorrect
change in my favor several times, and I've always pointed it out. I'm
also quick to point out when they overcharge me. I recently had a cake
scan the higher and the wrong price in the self-serve check out at
Albertson's. I had to get a clerk to help since the cake was on sale.
She insisted on giving it to me for free, I said I didn't mind paying
the correct price, but she said it was store policy, so I took it.
That's just me, but I can't speak for others.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
Steve B wrote:

any transaction.

I can think of a couple. I bought a few things at Wal-Mart, including a
pair of work shoes that were $39.99. It rang up to less than $25.00. I
knew that couldn't be right, and said so. The clerk hadn't scanned the
shoes. She corrected it, and I paid it. I have been given incorrect
change in my favor several times, and I've always pointed it out. I'm
also quick to point out when they overcharge me. I recently had a cake
scan the higher and the wrong price in the self-serve check out at
Albertson's. I had to get a clerk to help since the cake was on sale.
She insisted on giving it to me for free, I said I didn't mind paying
the correct price, but she said it was store policy, so I took it.
That's just me, but I can't speak for others.

There was a woman on TV from Boston who has been banned from a
supermarket chain because she gets so much for free. She looks at the
stuff and if it looks odd, goes to buy it, price is wrong and she gets
for free.

Also, I want to add to thread, that cashier's register tape must match
cash in draw.
These folks are not rocket scientists and get low paid. They may have
to make up any discrepencies, so don't take advantage of them if they
give you too much change.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I do this when it involves too much change because the cashier has to pay
that out of their pocket. But no one can make or count change nowadays,
and they give your change to you in a wad.

So Steve, in your little world, it's ok to steal from a company, but not
from a cashier.

Got it.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:33:14 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to
the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened.
In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

See my most recent post in the original thread.

CWM

You have failed to swear and avow that you have done this at EVERY
opportunity in your life.

Steve

I don't need to. You however have confessed in public that you are of
low moral character. We don't need any further information. You are
what you said you are.

CWM

I'm really sorry that you didn't read the original post. You keep preaching
about your own high moral level and my low one. You still have failed to
swear and avow that in your life you have taken the high road. We are of
different cloth. But at least I'm not saying I'm perfect and have never
done anything wrong. I have read about a man who could do that, but you're
not Him.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve B" wrote in message
I do this when it involves too much change because the cashier has to pay
that out of their pocket. But no one can make or count change nowadays,
and they give your change to you in a wad.

So Steve, in your little world, it's ok to steal from a company, but not
from a cashier.

Got it.

-Tim

I go in. I get my goods. I plop them on the counter. I pay what they say
it is unless they say it is too much. If that makes me a thief, than that's
what I am.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in message

There was a woman on TV from Boston who has been banned from a
supermarket chain because she gets so much for free. She looks at the
stuff and if it looks odd, goes to buy it, price is wrong and she gets
for free.

I'm not sure I agree that they should ban HER for their errors, but I
guess whatever works. Here in CA they have to give it to you for the
sale price, even if they just forgot to take down the sale sign. I think
that's fair, since a person might buy several of an item, thinking it's
a certain price.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheri wrote:
Steve B wrote:

[...]

I do have pity on the lowly paid cashier's and will not take too much
change. That would come out of the cashier's pay. I do not have any pity
on management that misprices goods. MOSTl laws say that if the price is on
the goods, that's what you pay. RIGHT OR WRONG. (unless it's overpriced,
and then you better catch it, or they won't)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

Frank wrote in message

There was a woman on TV from Boston who has been banned from a
supermarket chain because she gets so much for free. She looks at the
stuff and if it looks odd, goes to buy it, price is wrong and she gets
for free.

I'm not sure I agree that they should ban HER for their errors, but I
guess whatever works. Here in CA they have to give it to you for the
sale price, even if they just forgot to take down the sale sign. I think
that's fair, since a person might buy several of an item, thinking it's
a certain price.

Cheri

Thank you, Cheri. I checked with the door man. He checked with the
manager. They set the price and wrote it down on a piece of paper. I paid
the cashier that price. It all seemed simple to me, and at the time a very
good deal. I still do not think I took unfair advantage.

In your story, some of these people would give your shopper grief for
demanding the item at the sale price because management didn't put the
proper sign on it.

There was no concealment. There was no switching of prices. There was no
evil intent to go into the store and get something without paying for it.
From the time THEY took them off the rack until I loaded them in my truck, I
did not touch them. (I touched the cart.)

Ever think maybe the manager said, "Geez, these are the last two. They're
discontinued. One is damaged. Let's blow them out of here. Let him have
both at $39 each." They do this all the time with orphan pups. I never
looked at the slip, and don't know what he wrote. I just paid the girl.

sheesh

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 7mxSg.480$BC6.106@fed1read01, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]
But at least I'm not saying I'm perfect and have never
done anything wrong.

Indeed. In fact, you've quite clearly said exactly the opposite.

I'm not perfect either. One difference between you and me is that I'm
*ashamed* of my misdeeds -- whereas you're proud of yours.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article dnxSg.481$BC6.122@fed1read01, "Steve B" wrote:

I go in. I get my goods. I plop them on the counter. I pay what they say
it is unless they say it is too much. If that makes me a thief, than that's
what I am.

When you *know* it's too little, and you don't speak up, then you *are* a
thief.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...

In your story, some of these people would give your shopper grief for
demanding the item at the sale price because management didn't put the
proper sign on it.

I think the reason for the law in CA is that many stores were doing it
to the point that it could hardly be a mistake, though couldn't be
proven. Sort of like those ads where they advertise a certain price to
"bait" customers to the store, and then don't have the item. They have
to give rainchecks, but sometimes they never get the goods in, no matter
how many times you check. I've found that to be true quite often at
Walgreen's. It's kind of gotten to be a joke where I live. Many of us
say we like to read the Walgreen's Sunday Ad, just to see what they
don't have in stock. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

I do so, whenever I notice. At food service places, they
generally just tell me to take it anyway. Presumeably
that's because fixing it is too much trouble.

Why are you putting so much effort into justifying your
behavior? You're not feeling anything like shame, are
you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In addition to that one, I always point out undercharges and
overcharges. The last one was a set of wedges for an axe
handle that I found in the basket while loading my items into
my truck. Took them back inside to pay the $1.29. The
cashier looked at me funny and told me he couldn't believe I
came back for that. I just told him that I like to sleep at
night.

That's where you're a better man than me. I'm perfectly
willing to point out errors at the time.. after all,
if I wasn't willing to pay the real price I wouldn't be
buying it in the first place, but I'm not willing to
put too much effort into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:09:47 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message
I do this when it involves too much change because the cashier has to
pay
that out of their pocket. But no one can make or count change
nowadays,
and they give your change to you in a wad.

So Steve, in your little world, it's ok to steal from a company, but not
from a cashier.

Got it.

-Tim

I go in. I get my goods. I plop them on the counter. I pay what they
say
it is unless they say it is too much. If that makes me a thief, than
that's
what I am.

Steve

Yes, we've figured that out.

CWM

Well, it's about time. I was wondering if you were ever going to get it the
way you keep going over it and going over it and going over it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

t...
wrote:

I go in. I get my goods. I plop them on the counter. I pay what they
say
it is unless they say it is too much. If that makes me a thief, than
that's
what I am.

When you *know* it's too little, and you don't speak up, then you *are* a
thief.

--
Regards,

I paid what the MANAGER wrote on the ticket. How does that make me a thief?

The following is an answer I wrote to Cheri:

Ever think maybe the manager said, "Geez, these are the last two. They're
discontinued. One is damaged. Let's blow them out of here. Let him have
both at $39 each." They do this all the time with orphan pups. I never
looked at the slip, and don't know what he wrote. I just paid the girl.

sheesh

And PUHLEEZE, just say what you'd have done, and don't assign your values to
me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...

In your story, some of these people would give your shopper grief for
demanding the item at the sale price because management didn't put the
proper sign on it.

I think the reason for the law in CA is that many stores were doing it
to the point that it could hardly be a mistake, though couldn't be
proven. Sort of like those ads where they advertise a certain price to
"bait" customers to the store, and then don't have the item. They have
to give rainchecks, but sometimes they never get the goods in, no matter
how many times you check. I've found that to be true quite often at
Walgreen's. It's kind of gotten to be a joke where I live. Many of us
say we like to read the Walgreen's Sunday Ad, just to see what they
don't have in stock. :-)

Cheri

Careful, Cheri. With that position, you may soon be called a thief.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

And then you and your wife "ran like hell"

Got it!

CWM

Yeah. Darn right. I had to go to the bathroom, and we were double parked
under the porte cochere.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

I don't think crooks get to make the rules for determining who is
honest. Hopefully, someday when you accidently put too many zeros on a
check when paying a bill, your karma won't use that instant to bite
you back. Rationalize all you want.

CWM

Are you a preacher, Charlie?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Steve B wrote:
Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the
cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In
any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you
have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Well, totally off topic, I bought one of those auxilliary shelves that
attach to a stepladder like halfway up and fold up with it, at HD, even
though I didn't have their brand of stepladder, in the hopes that I
could adapt it. Of course, there was no way, so I brought it back,
thanks to their nice refund policy. The cashier lady and I had a nice
little discussion about whether I had bought it there or not and what
was I trying to pull, until, to make a long story short, we determine
that the UPC for it gets listed in the cash register tape as "Paint
Remover". How we did laff, har har.