Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dangerous trimmer/edger? Black & Decker GH1000 Grass Hog XP

I usually read reviews (see the link at the bottom of this post),
but not this time. In case you don't, you might want to read some
reviews before buying a Black & Decker GH1000 Grass Hog XP. I bought
it from Lowe's today but haven't used it yet. I'll probably take it
back to the store tomorrow unused since it will be easier to get a
refund.

I purchased and enjoyed a B&D GH600 Grass Hog. Most of the
complaints about that trimmer appear to be based on the fact it
feeds line automatically so you have to avoid running it up against
something that repeatedly breaks the line. Pulsing the trigger works
for me. The other complaint, that for some people the automatic line
feed stops working might be valid. It must be a very sensitive
mechanism, how else could they get centrifugal force to keep a short
line to within about 2 inches? I gave that trimmer away. I would
have bought another but I wanted larger diameter line. I feel like
avoiding Black & Decker now.

Back to the subject. If you go by the dozens of nearly unanimous
opinion of users on Amazon.com, the GH1000 is a dangerous product.
You probably won't want to have your kids (or anyone you care about)
around when you're using it for the first time.

The ratings are arranged lowest first. Over 75% gave it the lowest
possible rating and some begged for lower.

Take care.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&s=hi&x=8&y=13

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
B&D makes mostly junk, IMO. Never owned anything they make. My trimmer
is Echo gas model.